Q: Windows Custom Control - How to do Client caching on ASP.NET page ?

Simon Prince

Hi

I have created a .NET "Windows Custom Control" which is used an ASPX Web
Form.

It is referenced with the code, from a ASPX page.

<object id="myComponent"
classid="http:[assembly URL]#[full class name]"
height="value" width="value">
</object>

The control uses a DataGrid control, plus several labels, buttons and
textboxes.
The datagrid is initially loaded empty, and no data is retreived until the
users input values into the textboxes and hit a button.

All is working well, however I would like to speed up just the intial
I am not interesting in caching the data the grid will read as it is a vast
data table, and the user is only returning small portions of it for display
only.

We use a WAN to access an ASPX page with these controls, but they are slow
to load over the WAN connection.

So, my questions is...

Can the client PC be set to Cache this control, and to automatically
download it again if revisions are made to the source control.

With ActiveX you used to have a CodeBase tag which pointed a .CAB file, and
a version reference. How is this done with .NET Custom controls?

Regards

Simon Prince