Q Wysiwyg => xhtml - html - asp

Morgan Ohlson

I the field of wysiwyg web editors it seems that one has to know some about
straight html-programming anyway.

Among the wysiwyg applications it looks like there are 2 major highroads.
A) aimed for making classical pages with text and pictures 90-100% floating
(100% resizable fonts).
B) modern style locked objects and often non-scalable fonts.

1. I like the floating and resizable stuff best. What should I then look
for in intutive and powerful wysiwyg editor?

2. Are there any "The most natural step after html" ? What?

Morgan O.

rf

Morgan said:
I the field of wysiwyg web editors

Aaaarrrrrg. The worst thing you could possibly use.
it seems that one has to know some about
straight html-programming anyway.

HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language. That is what
the M means in HTML.

And yes, you should know all about HTML, plus CSS.
Among the wysiwyg applications it looks like there are 2 major highroads.

Nope. Lowroads if anything.

When building web pages there is no such thing as wysiwyg, there is only
w*y*siwyhtyvgbsnd, that is: What *You* See Is What You Hope Your Viewer Gets
But She Never Does.

Her canvas is not the same as yours. Her browser is not the same as yours.
Her fonts are not the same as yours. Her "resolution" is not the same as
yours. Her colours are not the same as yours. Her [insert whatever comes to
mind] is also not the same as yours.
A) aimed for making classical pages with text and pictures 90-100% floating
(100% resizable fonts).

Er, why 90%. Why not nothing, that way I get to view your page using *my*
preferences.
B) modern style locked objects and often non-scalable fonts.

Web != desktop publishing.
1. I like the floating and resizable stuff best. What should I then look
for in intutive and powerful wysiwyg editor?

Notepad. Then progress up to an editor that does syntax highlighting but
does not "invent" the HTML for you. All wysiwyg editors get is badly wrong.
2. Are there any "The most natural step after html" ? What?

Er, no. I think.

SpaceGirl

Morgan said:
I the field of wysiwyg web editors it seems that one has to know some about
straight html-programming anyway.

Among the wysiwyg applications it looks like there are 2 major highroads.
A) aimed for making classical pages with text and pictures 90-100% floating
(100% resizable fonts).
B) modern style locked objects and often non-scalable fonts.

1. I like the floating and resizable stuff best. What should I then look
for in intutive and powerful wysiwyg editor?

2. Are there any "The most natural step after html" ? What?

Morgan O.

I'd suggest Dreamweaver, but ONLY if you know HTML inside out - like any
other psuedo WYSIWYG IDE these things are all relative and and very easy
to quickly get into the habit of generating crappy code.

While RF claims HTML isn't a programming language, web design does
INCLUDE programming, so an IDE that supports the major languages is also
useful (at the very least for syntax checking).

As much as the sites you make needing to be flexible, so do you as a
designer - there are no hard and fast rules for 'how' a web site should
look and feel; for example there are places where fixed fonts / fixed
designs are applicable, and other times where you should avoid it.

A 'designed' site would probably usually start off inside Photoshop.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

el m

rf said:
Er, no. I think.
As soon as the op learns a little (X)HTML, a look
at server side goodies is in order. CGI, Perl, and PHP.
And learn how to use HTML Tidy, the online validator,
and preprocessors.

Rob Collyer

I would have to say, for the best results, and the most controllable and
updateable, then just go for a mix of XHTML, CSS and notepad!

I would steer clear from wysiwyg editors (and i do) because they often seem
to reate the desired effect (for sure) but they often produce far more code
than is nessesary (referred to as Tag soup), and on top of that, the designs
created are seldom cross browser compatible.

Webcastmaker

I the field of wysiwyg web editors it seems that one has to know some about
straight html-programming anyway.

Of course.
Among the wysiwyg applications it looks like there are 2 major highroads.
A) aimed for making classical pages with text and pictures 90-100% floating
(100% resizable fonts).
B) modern style locked objects and often non-scalable fonts.

They are editors. The same way Word does not write the great American
novel for you, a WYSIWYG can not create a great site. Both are tools
to help you with your task.
1. I like the floating and resizable stuff best. What should I then look
for in intutive and powerful wysiwyg editor?

Any of them do all that.
2. Are there any "The most natural step after html" ? What?

CSS, client scripting, server scripting. But in reality they are all
in the same package.

Morgan Ohlson

Of course.

They are editors. The same way Word does not write the great American
novel for you, a WYSIWYG can not create a great site. Both are tools
to help you with your task.

....please...

I think everyone so far misses my intention here.

What I'm saying is that ~wysiwyg editors are not simply wysiwyg editors.

It looks like wysiwyg editors try to make completly different things
compared to each other.

Some (B above) work like object oriented graphic packs (or dtp if you like)
and other more like a wordprocessors - html-exporting tools (thats A) where
wordwrapping and floating is the most important part..

I hope someone who undertand my meaning takes time to anwer this. So far I
only have recognised the phenomenon. I have not understould if it has a
technical background in the code produced (dynamic or non-dynamic) or if it'
sjust a matter of user interface and and ideology from the one who made the
editor?
Any of them do all that.

If including also some larger free apps I think you are wrong. I don't think
they do.

Morgan O.

Webcastmaker

If including also some larger free apps I think you are wrong. I don't think
they do.

They are "editors" they all produce the EXACT same HTML with floating
and resizable stuff....

Are you asking which is the BEST wysiwyg editor? Well that is
personal preference.

Morgan Ohlson

They are "editors" they all produce the EXACT same HTML with floating
and resizable stuff....

Are you asking which is the BEST wysiwyg editor? Well that is
personal preference.

Thats great!
What is the difference between them? (seen to the code /markings they
produce)
.....is it some kind of basic technical difference between them?

Are there any wysiwyg editor that are known to produce more dynamic outputs?

Morgan O.

Webcastmaker

Thats great!
What is the difference between them? (seen to the code /markings they
produce)
....is it some kind of basic technical difference between them?
Are there any wysiwyg editor that are known to produce more dynamic outputs?

Let me go visit all the home pages for the different editors. I will
download the demos, test them, and create a functionality / feature
caparison report for you. Will Wednesday be soon enough for me to
get the report to you?

Toby Inkster

Morgan said:
The NVU is built on [Mozilla Composer], isn't it? ...is NVU better
/worse?

I've not used Nvu, so couldn't comment. I would imagine though that any
improvements in one would be fed back into the other. (Such is the nature
of Open Source sister projects like this.)

The Mozilla browser however includes a very useful DOM inspector and
Javascript debugger, so access to the whole Mozilla suite is an advantage
of Mozilla over Nvu.

Morgan Ohlson

Morgan said:
The NVU is built on [Mozilla Composer], isn't it? ...is NVU better
/worse?

I've not used Nvu, so couldn't comment. I would imagine though that any
improvements in one would be fed back into the other. (Such is the nature
of Open Source sister projects like this.)

The Mozilla browser however includes a very useful DOM inspector and
Javascript debugger, so access to the whole Mozilla suite is an advantage
of Mozilla over Nvu.

Thanks for straight answers!

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Let me go visit all the home pages for the different editors. I will
download the demos, test them, and create a functionality / feature
caparison report for you. Will Wednesday be soon enough for me to
get the report to you?

If someone has a klue about the answer please take a minute to answer.

Morgan O.

Webcastmaker

If someone has a klue about the answer please take a minute to answer.

Do you want someone to pre-chew your food too? Take the initiative
and search google for WYSIWYG HTML editors.

Morgan Ohlson

Do you want someone to pre-chew your food too? Take the initiative
and search google for WYSIWYG HTML editors.

Sometimes there are people who know a lot obout the topic, i.e.
characteristics of some of the best wysiwyg-webeditors and perhaps like to
share the knowledge.

I would be very greatful for that. It could save me, and others many
valuable hours.

Simple as that. One could say it's some kind of internet basics.

Do you understand?

Morgan O.

Webcastmaker

Sometimes there are people who know a lot obout the topic, i.e.
characteristics of some of the best wysiwyg-webeditors and perhaps like to
share the knowledge.
I would be very greatful for that. It could save me, and others many
valuable hours.

Again, search google, you are not the first person (this week even)
to ask which editor is best. Here, I will even type it for you:

http://groups.google.com/groups?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=best+wysiwyg+editor+html

All you have to do is mind the URL wrapping. Now read away at
everything that can be said about WYSIWYG html editors.
Simple as that. One could say it's some kind of internet basics.
or laziness on your part.
Do you understand?
I do, but then I already made my choice for an editor based on
conversations that have been repeated over and over in the forum.