qooxdoo || gwt for a apache + c++ module web application

Lawrence

Hello all!

I work for a company as a Java/C++ developer and we currently have a
hand-crafted web application.

The way is done is this :
Apache + a C++ module that handles the calls
Some template XHTML files with placeholders
hand crafted javascript and css (ajax, etc)

It works, though not optimally.
The problem is that the dev that did this tested it only with IE6.
We refactored a big deal to get it to work on Firefox and Safari, and
let's say that respectively 90% and 80% of the functionality works,
though with a bit of difference in layout.

The problem is that both IE7 and IE8 are borked.Completely. Its hard
to maintain.
Nobody here is a web developer, I can modify here and there some
javascript, html and css but is not my bread.

So I'm investigating the framework way .. rewriting entirely the
"presentation" but leaving
most of the server side c++ untouched.

The server side produces some bits here and there (like tables and
stuff) which for the time being I would like to keep this way, and
eventually refactor at a later time.

I've did a hello world in both qooxdoo and gwt.
However, I still can't decide, and not many people on the net have a
configuration similar to the one we have here.

Any advice ? Which one would you use in my position and why ?
Also, I heard about qwt. Very interesting, but I don't have any java
server side.
Server side, I have only my ad hoc C++ in the apache module.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Lawrence

I'm sorry, I accidentally sent the message twice.
Can you please ignore this message (there is an other one below this)

Cheers

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Lawrence said:
I work for a company as a Java/C++ developer and we currently have a
hand-crafted web application.

Are you going to tell us that story every minute from now on or will
you get yourself informed about Usenet and Google Groups eventually?
[...]
The problem is that the dev that did this tested it only with IE6.
We refactored a big deal to get it to work on Firefox and Safari, and
let's say that respectively 90% and 80% of the functionality works,
though with a bit of difference in layout.

The problem is that both IE7 and IE8 are borked.Completely. Its hard
to maintain.
Nobody here is a web developer, I can modify here and there some
javascript, html and css but is not my bread.
[...]
Any advice ? Which one would you use in my position and why ?

If I were in your place, I would tell my boss that the task cannot be
accomplished adequately without hiring a Web developer to do it. The
reason for that would seem to be self-evident.

HTH

PointedEars

Lawrence

Are you going to tell us that story every minute from now on or will
you get yourself informed about Usenet and Google Groups eventually?

Oh, this is fun.
You know, I've been lurking this group for a while now, and I've been
reading 90+ comments long threads about libraries, gwt, dojo, etc, how
shit they are .. so on and so forth.
Anyway, I've kind of learned that it is common practise for *some*
contributors of this newsgroup to be rude, so fair enough, no
offences.
However, I've been posting on usenet for a while and it's normal from
time to time to see something double posted by accident..yeah, I must
agree with you, usually wannabes.
If I were in your place, I would tell my boss that the task cannot be
accomplished adequately without hiring a Web developer to do it.  The
reason for that would seem to be self-evident.

I don't agree with you.
You see, this component of the software is the least important(that
is, for us).

We have APIs, a C++ client, and a web client.
The libraries out there, in theory, would allow someone without html/
css in their skill set to
accomplish a redesign of the presentation bit.

Say GWT, if I use that, then I don't have to care about IE8, all I
have to do is to download the new "compiler" and "recompile". Done, it
now works with IE8.

Thanks for the answer Thomas!

Lawrence