QT hell....

Discussion in 'C++' started by socket, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. socket

    socket Guest

    Hello :)
    Im having a bit of difficulties to understand how QT event hooking
    works, im trying to figure out an example from trolltech's QT tutorial
    (http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/tutorial1-02.html)

    Im having trouble with this line:

    QObject::connect( &quit, SIGNAL(clicked()), &a, SLOT(quit()) );

    What is SIGNAL() ? a macro?
    It gets clicked() as a parameter, what for?
    my reason says clicked() returns a value of some const that represents
    an event but when looking on clicked() defenition i see that it
    returns void:

    void QButton::clicked () -
    http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qbutton.html#clicked

    So what's going on? how does it work? please help me understand :)

    socket, Aug 6, 2003

  2. socket

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, redir] QT hell....

    socket <> wrote in message
    > Hello :)
    > Im having a bit of difficulties to understand how QT event hooking
    > works, im trying to figure out an example from trolltech's QT tutorial
    > (http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/tutorial1-02.html)
    >
    > Im having trouble with this line:
    >
    > QObject::connect( &quit, SIGNAL(clicked()), &a, SLOT(quit()) );
    >
    > What is SIGNAL() ? a macro?

    It's whatever the authors of QT defined it to be.
    Read the documentation.

    > It gets clicked() as a parameter, what for?

    Whatever the authors of QT define its purpose to be.
    Read the documentation.

    > my reason says

    Don't use 'your reason', read the documentation.
    I see you already have the link for that.

    >clicked() returns a value of some const that represents
    > an event but when looking on clicked() defenition i see that it
    > returns void:
    >
    > void QButton::clicked () -
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qbutton.html#clicked
    >
    > So what's going on? how does it work? please help me understand :)

    How it works should be described in the documentation.
    If you still don't understand, check to see if QT has
    a mailing list or newsgroup or other support resources.

    None of this has anything to do with the ISO standard
    C++ langauge, the topic here.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 6, 2003

  3. socket

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Re: [OT, redir] QT hell....

    > How it works should be described in the documentation.
    > If you still don't understand, check to see if QT has
    > a mailing list or newsgroup or other support resources.

    NNTP Server: nntp.trolltech.com
    Group: t.qt-interest

    These are NNTP access points for the qt-interest email list.

    Noah Roberts, Aug 6, 2003