Quadratic Optimization Problem

amitsoni.1984

Hi,

I need to do a quadratic optimization problem in python where the
constraints are quadratic and objective function is linear.

What are the possible choices to do this.

Thanks
Amit

Stefan Behnel

I need to do a quadratic optimization problem in python where the
constraints are quadratic and objective function is linear.

What are the possible choices to do this.

Too bad these homework assignments get trickier every time, isn't it?

Stefan

Beliavsky

Stefan said:
Too bad these homework assignments get trickier every time, isn't it?

I think this sarcasm is unjustified. It is not obvious to me that this
is a homework assignment.

The problem where constraints are linear and the objective function is
linear (quadratic) is known as linear (quadratic) programming, and
there are specialized codes for these problems. I don't know of
software in any language for the particular problem of a linear
objective function with quadratic constraints, so I would use a general
algorithm for nonlinearly constrained optimization. Maybe CVXOPT
http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~vandenbe/cvxopt/ will work for the OP -- I have
not tried it.

The site http://www.solver.com/probconic.htm calls the problem "conic
optimization".

A good newsgroup to ask about optimization algorithms is
sci.math.num-analysis.

amitsoni.1984

thanks, I was actually looking for a package only in python to do this
which can solve it directly. Since my problem is a nonlinear convex
optimization problem, there are a number of algorithms to get it
solved.
I will try using CVXOPT package.