Quality assurance in Python projects containing C modules

CM

I'm using wxPython for half a year now, and building quit a large /
heavy GUI with it.
And although it's not so easy as Delphi, it's certainly just as stable
as Delphi.

If you're talking aboutBoa, that's a completely different story,
I tried it on 3 different machines, and couldn't get it working on any
of them. I thinkBoa/ Dabo / .. are basically good ideas to make programming
wxPython more easy, and probably a lot of people invested a lot of their free time in the
product with the best intentions, but unfortunately these programs are not ready for use by
others (specially not for windows users).

Although Boa Constructor is not yet "perfect", I am using it all the
time with, in my (very limited) opinion, very good results. One thing
is that the download site is not updated frequently, even if SVN is,
so you must get it from SVN to get the recent version. Once I got the
swing of doing things the Boa-istic way, I can set up pages, with
sizers, and with many (but not all) of the currently available
wxPython widgets, really quickly. Taking the tutorial, though tedious
of course, pays off later. Although there are always more
improvements it could have, what is there I find extremely
impressive. It can draw bitmaps, allow for notes, shows sizers
graphically, allows for timers and other utilities, works with Zope
(though I haven't done that), and tons of stuff I'm not even aware of
yet.

One key is to create any changes to your app by hand but NOT in the
sections which indicate that they are Boa-generated and not to be
edited (the Designer takes "jurisdiction" over them). Early on I was
frustrated by commenting things out in those sections and then having
Boa "constrict" and swallow them whole--gone code! But now I just do
things in my own def statements, and there are no problems with that.

I understand if it is not for everyone, though; these things are a
matter of taste to some degree it would seem. But I just figured I'd
get a testimonial out there.