quanConversion of Quicksilver to XML or Framemaker

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rocambole, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. Rocambole

    Rocambole Guest

    Hi!

    I work with technical documentation and constantly run into the
    problem of one of the major companies in the railway industry sticking
    to Quicksilver and claiming that any conversion is highly troublesome
    and expensive (not even mentioning any conversion to MS Word or
    Framemaker...)

    Now, the question is: However good Quicksilver is, is it totally
    impossible/awfully complicated to convert a QS document to XML (or
    Framemaker) or are these people just unwilling to do anything unless
    they get heaps of money?

    We're not just talking text here - there are a number of illustrations
    and photos that have to be brought along as well. Does this work, or
    should they remove all illustrations and convert the rest to ASCII and
    attach a folder with the figures for me to import when using
    Framemaker from which XML conversion is fairly straightforward?

    Any response out of personal experience highly appreciated.

    Besst regards -

    Rocambole

    Rocambole, Jun 17, 2009

  2. > Now, the question is: However good Quicksilver is, is it totally
    > impossible/awfully complicated to convert a QS document to XML (or
    > Framemaker) or are these people just unwilling to do anything unless
    > they get heaps of money?

    XML is raw syntax. You could almost certainly define a representation
    which expressed everything that Quicksilver covers; whether it would be
    worth doing depends on what your needs are, and whether Quicksilver
    (whatever that is) is standardized and documented well enough to define
    reliable conversions.

    > We're not just talking text here - there are a number of illustrations
    > and photos that have to be brought along as well.

    As far as XML is concerned, those are raw data. They probably contain
    bytes that are forbidden in XML and/or would have to be escaped; I would
    recommend either moving them out into separate files and having a syntax
    which points to those files (which, of course, is what HTML/XHTML did,
    and which I believe is how XSL:FO handles graphics) or -- if they really
    need to be embedded into a single document -- doing a base64 conversion
    to get them into a form which XML will accept as text. Of course it'll
    be up to you to either retrieve them or convert them back when you want
    to display them.

    If you want to know how difficult this will be, you need to get someone
    to spend the time to work up a formal proposal and estimate. Which
    probably means paying them for the time they spend doing so, unless you
    can find an enthusiastic volunteer or are willing to spend the time to
    bootstrap your own skills to the point where you can do it.

    Have fun. Good luck. (Don't ask; I'm not volunteering.)

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 18, 2009