Quartus II error - use clause error... - very strange behaviour

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Jan, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Error: VHDL Use Clause error at bff_00.vhd(118): more than one Use
    Clause imports a declaration of simple name d_ff -- none of the
    declarations are directly visible

    QII report this error. I use my own user library which contains some
    basic modules, such as D flip-flop, register, edge detector, etc.

    d_ff.vhd is a D flip flop component. When I compiled desing with d_ff,
    all OK.
    Also register component, which consist of N D flip-flop (d_ff
    component) works fine.

    In larger design MKO - monostable multivibrator I used the same d_ff
    in component bff_00 (bistable flip-flop) and edgedet_00 (edge
    detector).
    When I compiled MKO QII report error mentioned above.

    User library path is defined, bff_00 and edgedet_00 are compiled
    correct, when I compiled them alone.

    MKO always reported errors, but I remove error when I rename d_ff
    componet to dff_00.

    Any idea why rename of component remove error?
    Why alone component compilation is correct and nesting in "bigger"
    structured component cause error?

    Best regards,
    Jan

    Jan, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Jan wrote:
    > Error: VHDL Use Clause error at bff_00.vhd(118): more than one Use
    > Clause imports a declaration of simple name d_ff -- none of the
    > declarations are directly visible
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Any idea why rename of component remove error?
    > Why alone component compilation is correct and nesting in "bigger"
    > structured component cause error?

    There's not enough information for me to see what is happening. What use
    clauses do you use?

    One other thought: could d_ff be the name of a primitive of Quartus II?

    Paul.

    Paul Uiterlinden, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Jan wrote:
    > Error: VHDL Use Clause error at bff_00.vhd(118): more than one Use
    > Clause imports a declaration of simple name d_ff -- none of the
    > declarations are directly visible

    Your declaration of d_ff is clashing with
    the same name in another library.

    Rename yours or eliminate the USE clause
    of the other.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Dec 16, 2004