Quartus v7.0 & configurations?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Mark McDougall, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having trouble getting Quartus to pickup my configuration...

    a_pkg.vhdl has "A" component declaration
    a.vhdl has "A" entity declaration
    a1.vhdl uses a_pkg & has "A1" architecture of "A"
    a2.vhdl uses a_pkg & has "A2" architecture of "A"

    Now in b.vhdl I have...

    entity B (...)
    architecture SYN of B is
    a_inst : A port map(...);
    end END SYN;

    configuration cfg_A of B is
    for SYN
    for a_inst : A
    use entity work.A(A1);
    end for;
    end for;
    end configuration cfg_A;

    No matter where I place the configuration declaration (before or after the
    architecture of B) it ignores it and uses architecture "A2" from a2.vhdl....

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

    TIA
    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
    Mark McDougall, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Mark McDougall wrote:

    > No matter where I place the configuration declaration (before or after the
    > architecture of B) it ignores it and uses architecture "A2" from a2.vhdl....
    > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

    Did you tell quartus that cfg_A is the top entity?
    Is it also above the other units in the file list?
    Also see Andy's posts of yesterday -- direct instances are less trouble.
    Good luck.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Mike Treseler wrote:

    > Is it also above the other units in the file list?

    *below*
    Mike Treseler, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Mike Treseler wrote:

    > Did you tell quartus that cfg_A is the top entity?

    No - entity B (for which cfg_A is the config) is not the top-level entity
    in the design. Do I therefore need to represent the top-down hierarchy of
    the project in cfg_X and specify that as the top-level design file???

    > Is it also above the other units in the file list?

    cfg_A appears in the same file as entity B declaration/implementation, at
    the end of the file. This file appears in the file list after all the
    entity A files...

    FWIW I've read conflicting statements about where cfg_A must appear during
    evaluation/synthesis...

    Regards,

    Mark McDougall, Nov 7, 2007
  5. Mike Treseler wrote:

    > Also see Andy's posts of yesterday -- direct instances are less trouble.

    Ah!!! Thanks!

    I'd tried
    label : my_entity(my_architecture)
    and got an error but not
    label : entity work.my_entity(my_architecture)

    .... the latter works!

    Still, for future reference, I'd like to resolve the configuration issue...

    Regards,

    Mark McDougall, Nov 7, 2007
  6. Mark McDougall

    KJ Guest

    "Mark McDougall" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Treseler wrote:
    >
    >> Also see Andy's posts of yesterday -- direct instances are less trouble.

    > Ah!!! Thanks!
    >
    > I'd tried
    > label : my_entity(my_architecture)
    > and got an error but not
    > label : entity work.my_entity(my_architecture)
    >
    > ... the latter works!
    >
    > Still, for future reference, I'd like to resolve the configuration
    > issue...

    If the configuration is not the top level, then this implies that at some
    point in the design you're instantiating entity b, but what you need to
    instantiate is configuration b.

    What you probably have is
    My_thing : entity work.b(....)

    What I think you need is
    My_thing : configuration work.cfg_a(....)

    KJ
    KJ, Nov 7, 2007