Quartz and Windows Scheduled Task/Service

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alessandro, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. Alessandro

    Alessandro Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a java application started by a "bat" file which uses Quartz on
    a Windows system in order to be run every day at a certain time. It's
    clear that it has to be always on (like a service behaviour)

    1) starting it - executing bat file only the first time - , produces
    of course a dos window and there is the risk that someone could close
    it stopping all the schedules

    2) tried to convert bat file int windows service with tools
    instsrv.exe and srvany.exe but there is always a prompt windows open,
    closing it everything is freezed even if process is still running

    3) used a Schedled Task of Windows, starting every day some minutes
    before Quartz scheduled and with option of closing after e.g. 1hour of
    activity (that's sufficient). In this case there isn't the windows
    prompt open, but java.exe process remains live and every day there is
    a java.exe process more.

    Any experience about this ? Any suggestions or workaround ? I know
    this is a very typical scenario.

    Thanks and best regards,
    Ale

    Alessandro, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Alessandro

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Alessandro wrote:
    > I have a java application started by a "bat" file which uses Quartz on
    > a Windows system in order to be run every day at a certain time. It's
    > clear that it has to be always on (like a service behaviour)
    >
    > 1) starting it - executing bat file only the first time - , produces
    > of course a dos window and there is the risk that someone could close
    > it stopping all the schedules
    >
    > 2) tried to convert bat file int windows service with tools
    > instsrv.exe and srvany.exe but there is always a prompt windows open,
    > closing it everything is freezed even if process is still running
    >
    > 3) used a Schedled Task of Windows, starting every day some minutes
    > before Quartz scheduled and with option of closing after e.g. 1hour of
    > activity (that's sufficient). In this case there isn't the windows
    > prompt open, but java.exe process remains live and every day there is
    > a java.exe process more.
    >
    > Any experience about this ? Any suggestions or workaround ? I know
    > this is a very typical scenario.

    Tell windows scheduler to start it at boot and let Quartz run
    when it should run.

    You could also find a service wrapper that works for you, but ...

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Feb 5, 2009