Query about viewing web pages.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by phaedrus, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. phaedrus

    phaedrus Guest

    Hi guys,

    I have a problem with online newspaper pages that contain long
    paragraphs of nested comments.

    Whenever I post a comment, the page reloads with new comments people
    have submitted since I last did a refresh or a post. Now however, as
    well as a bunch of new comments, I still have all the old ones some of
    which i've read and some not. But these are hard to distinguish.Very
    often, I'm half way through an item before I recall I've read it
    before. And of course, the longer and more complex the page becomes,
    the worse the problem.

    I need some way of 'graying out' the already-red comments, so the
    unread ones can stand out and I can spot them easily. I don't want the
    pre-existing comments erased completely since some of the new ones may
    refer back to them.

    I haven't seen a browser that supports this feature so I'm going to
    have to tackle it by writing a C program but someone on another group
    said I should consider Perl first as it's far more suitable. Any
    suggestions as to the best way to approach this task? Thanks!
    phaedrus, Sep 7, 2009

  2. phaedrus

    phaedrus Guest

    On Sep 7, 5:16 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    > I would recommend using the GreaseMonkey Firefox extension.

    I can't say I've heard about it. A bit of digging reveals it sounds
    promising, though. I'll make additional enquiries in a more
    appropriate forum.
    Many thanks for the steer.
    PK.
    phaedrus, Sep 7, 2009

  3. phaedrus <> wrote:
    >I have a problem with online newspaper pages that contain long
    >paragraphs of nested comments.
    >
    >Whenever I post a comment, the page reloads with new comments people
    >have submitted since I last did a refresh or a post. Now however, as
    >well as a bunch of new comments, I still have all the old ones some of
    >which i've read and some not. But these are hard to distinguish.Very
    >often, I'm half way through an item before I recall I've read it
    >before. And of course, the longer and more complex the page becomes,
    >the worse the problem.
    >
    >I need some way of 'graying out' the already-red comments, so the
    >unread ones can stand out and I can spot them easily. I don't want the
    >pre-existing comments erased completely since some of the new ones may
    >refer back to them.

    I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    Are you looking for a server-side solution, which presents a different
    HTML page upon every visit? Or are you looking for a client-side filter,
    which highlights changes between visits to a particular page?
    And how do you suggest the tool to differentiate between old comments
    that you already read and old comments that you did not read? The tool
    can hardly know where your eyes went on the screen.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Sep 16, 2009