QUERY: Borland C++ 4.5 vs Borland Turbo C++ 1.01

dhruba.bandopadhyay

Am wondering whether Borland C++ 4.5 or Borland Turbo C++ 1.01
supported C++ templates. If not, which
other future version of BC++ or TC++ did? If BC++ 4.5 or TC++ 1.01 does
support it, how much of the
C++ language does it support.

SuperKoko

Am wondering whether Borland C++ 4.5 or Borland Turbo C++ 1.01
supported C++ templates.
AFAIK, Turbo C++ 1.01 doesn't support templates, but Borland C++ 4.5
does. But the support is not very good.
I know quite well Borland C++ 5.0. And, I can say it doesn't support
member templates, but it supports default template parameters and
partial specialization of template classes.
An annoying thing with Borland C++ 5.0 (and thus, probably Borland C++
4.5) is that the iostream library is not templatized and is not in
namespace std, though the STL is in namespace std.
If not, which
other future version of BC++ or TC++ did? If BC++ 4.5 or TC++ 1.01 does
support it, how much of the
C++ language does it support.

Borland C++ 5.5 has a much better support for templates than previous
versions.
It has a full support (with a few minor bugs) of templates, including
member templates of template and non-template classes.
It's enough to program comfortably, using all the language.

But, AFAIK, Borland C++ 5.5 is not available as 16 bits compiler.
You can download it freely on Borland's web site.