QUERY: Client-side DataGrid for faster fluid feel?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dhruba.bandopadhyay, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. Is it possible to make some of the DataGrid functionality to
    client-side? Such as the Edit, Update, Cancel, Delete functionality?
    Everytime I click on a row's Edit button, I wait 2 seconds before I see
    the Edit controls (eg. textboxes, drop-down combos, checkboxes). I
    understand that the DataGrid's Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions
    are server-side because it uses ASP.NET postback handler functions.

    What I like is these Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions being on
    client-side, but uses AJAX requests in background. This would make the
    user feel fluid editing (opposed to the 2 seconds delay for each
    DataGrid button pressed).

    Is this possible with the standard DataGrid? Or can the DataGrid be
    overrided so that the Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions operate on
    client-side, and sends the actual Update/Delete command using AJAX? This
    is so much faster and better than the current slow DataGrid.

    If one has to code all this functionality manually, how would one go
    about it?

    If I don't see much prospect of the DataGrid, I'll eventually abandon
    ASP.NET with GWT.

    --
    dhruba.bandopadhyay
    dhruba.bandopadhyay, Jan 26, 2007