QUERY: debugging ASP VBScript

KevinGPO

I am currently developing a website in ASP (VBScript) using MS Visual C#.NET
IDE. I just create a new "ASP.NET Web Application" and point to my local
webserver (IIS) of my website address. Then I just go through each
file/folder and right-click, selecting "Include in project". The IDE is nice
in that it checks, verifies id tags, etc. What am wondering is whether it's
possible to debug my ASP website using the MS Visual Studio.NET's debugger.

I did a google search for 'debugging ASP VBScript' and got:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/asp/iiwadbug.htm

It seems possible, however I can't seem to get it working.

Anyway knows how to debug ASP scripts efficiently?

KevinGPO

Excellent article. I followed it through exactly to the instructions.
However I get this:

Unable to automatically configure and launch remote debugging because of an
incompatibility between versions of Internet Information Server (IIS) on the
client and the server. The usual cause for this error is attempting to debug
ASP pages on an IIS4 server from a Windows 2000 client. In order to debug
ASP pages, you should not continue launching the debugger. Instead, you
should enable debugging manually on the server as described in the
Troubleshooting topic of the Visual Studio documentation.

Unable to set server into correct debugging state automatically. You may not
be able to debug ASP pages. Do you want to continue launching the debugger?

Yes No Help

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. The server does not support debugging of ASP.NET or ATL Server
applications. Run setup to install the Visual Studio .NET server components.
If setup has been run verify that a valid URL has been specified.

You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in
the online documentation. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug
ASP.NET pages for this project?

Trevor Benedict R

To manually attach, follow the steps.
1. Browse to one of the Pages within the website that you are trying to
debug. This will start the IIS Process if not already started.
2. Within Visual Studio, Click on Debug--> Process Menu
3. Make sure that Show System Process is checked.
4. ASP Applications are hosted by the dllhost.exe process. If you have
defined an application name in IIS (Virtual directory properties, then you
shouold see it here, else sort by the process and click on the dllhost.exe
(all if you are not sure) and click on attach. You have to do this one by
one.
5. Click on the Close button
6. Set the Breakpoints in the ASP code
7. Navigate to the page.
8. Click on Visual Studio, sometimes you might get a message box which has
to be dismissed before the page can continue to the breakpoint.

Let me know what you get. I use this method all the time. When applications
becomes complex, you don't want to Login, locate the menu, make a couple of
dropdown selections to hit the break point. Hence I have the web application
running and whenever I want to debug I follow these steps and when I don't
want the debugger, I click on the Stop button or the dettach all menu from
the Debug Menu.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD

KevinGPO

I think this solved it. I used this and it seemed to work. I managed to stop
at a breakpoint. Without the dllhost.exe attached, it would not stop at the
breakpoint.

Thanks ever so much. Your help most appreciated!

Kev

KevinGPO

Oh, I forgot to say.

I had to upgrade/install my .NET version to 1.1. Originally it was 1.0 and
the attaching host business didn't seem to have any effect. There wasn't
even any names for the dllhost application name. But after installing 1.1
..NET I was able to see the dllhost application name and attachment made an
effect to the debugging.

Maybe this should be added to that useful document and other well-known
troubleshooters.
Thanks