QUERY: debugging ASP VBScript

KevinGPO

I am currently developing a website in ASP (VBScript) using MS Visual C#.NET
IDE. I just create a new "ASP.NET Web Application" and point to my local
webserver (IIS) of my website address. Then I just go through each
file/folder and right-click, selecting "Include in project". The IDE is nice
in that it checks, verifies id tags, etc. What am wondering is whether it's
possible to debug my ASP website using the MS Visual Studio.NET's debugger.

I did a google search for 'debugging ASP VBScript' and got:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/asp/iiwadbug.htm

It seems possible, however I can't seem to get it working.

Anyway knows how to debug ASP scripts efficiently?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

KevinGPO said:
I am currently developing a website in ASP (VBScript) using MS Visual
C#.NET IDE.

This is a contradiction in terms. VBScript is typically used in classic ASP
applications (to which this newsgroup is devoted). Are you creating an
ASP.Net application (.aspx) or a classic ASP application (.asp)?
I just create a new "ASP.NET Web Application" and point
to my local webserver (IIS) of my website address. Then I just go
through each file/folder and right-click, selecting "Include in
project". The IDE is nice in that it checks, verifies id tags, etc.
What am wondering is whether it's possible to debug my ASP website
using the MS Visual Studio.NET's debugger.

I have seen assertions in this newsgroup that classic ASP code can be
debugged using VS.Net but I have never tried it myself. A more relevant
newsgroup would be microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging
I did a google search for 'debugging ASP VBScript' and got:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/asp/iiwadbug.htm

It seems possible, however I can't seem to get it working.

Post more details to the newsgroup I mentioned above. You won't get any help
by saying " ... can't seem to get it working." You need to provide details
about your symptoms.

Bob Barrows
PS. I'm removing the components group from this crosspost - it is completely
irrelevant.

G. Vaught

You do know that ASP and ASP.Net are two different animals and VBScript is
not compatible with ASP.Net and can not be used in Visual Studio 2003 or
higher .Net

So to answer your question. Your .Net application can't debug your ASP code.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

G. Vaught said:
You do know that ASP and ASP.Net are two different animals

Very true
and VBScript is not compatible with ASP.Net

huh? There is no reason one could not create a script block for vbscript
code in a .aspx page ... not much reason to do so, but there is nothing to
prevent it.
and can not be used in Visual
Studio 2003 or higher .Net

Hmm, well, that's not true.
I routinely edit classic ASP pages in VS 2003.
So to answer your question. Your .Net application can't debug your
ASP code.

I've never tried it, but one person who sometimes posts to this newsgroup
(.inetserver.asp.general) claims he regularly use VS 2003 to debug his
classic ASP applications.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/msg/cad98c695cb3d639?hl=en&

Here are some more:

http://groups.google.com/groups?ie=...=gd&q=debug classic ASP .Net 2003&sa=N&tab=wg

Anthony Jones

I use VS 2003 extensively to edit and debug classic ASP pages.

Works fine.

Anthony.