    Please point me to relevant link.

    Thank you.

    Appreciate your quick response.

    Vivek J., Apr 4, 2011

  2. On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Vivek J. <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have AIX 5.3 machine and =A0want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.
    >
    > I tried googling , however I am not able to find installable packages
    > and guide for same.
    >
    > Please point me to relevant link.

    "Installing from the source code is a great solution for when you are
    comfortable enough with your platform and perhaps need specific
    settings for your environment. It=92s also a good solution in the event
    that there are no other premade packages for your platform."

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

    --=20
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget
    When I've moved on to some other place,
    There may be one or two,
    When I've played and passed through,
    Who'll remember my song or my face.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 4, 2011

  3. On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Vivek J. <> wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have AIX 5.3 machine and  want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.
    >>
    >> I tried googling , however I am not able to find installable packages
    >> and guide for same.
    >>
    >> Please point me to relevant link.

    > "Installing from the source code is a great solution for when you are
    > comfortable enough with your platform and perhaps need specific
    > settings for your environment. It’s also a good solution in the event
    > that there are no other premade packages for your platform."

    Installing from source code on AIX is often painful, I have pretty much
    given up. Now I hope to convince my coworkers to go to jRuby.

    -- Matt
    It's not what I know that counts.

    Matt Lawrence, Apr 4, 2011
  4. Vivek J.

    Vivek J. Guest

    Thank you Phillip Gawlowski for help.

    Now I have AIX 5.3 machine and want to install Ruby and mechanize gem.

    I have downloaded ruby-1.9.2-p180.tar.gz and

    Trying to run this :

    cd ruby-1.9.2-p180
    bash-3.2# ./configure
    checking build system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking host system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking target system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    configure: error: in `/test/ruby-1.9.2-p180':
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details

    ----------

    My AIX box says

    bash-3.2# lslpp -L all | grep xl
    xlC.aix50.rte 10.1.0.2 C F XL C/C++ Runtime for
    AIX 5.3
    xlC.cpp 9.0.0.0 C F C for AIX
    Preprocessor
    xlC.rte 10.1.0.2 C F XL C/C++ Runtime

    Which C Compiler I need to download ?

    What we the next steps to install Ruby and mechanize gem.

    Thank you.

    Vivek J., Apr 5, 2011