Query:how to use windows api in my c source code?

Al Balmer

Al Balmer wrote:
| On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:33:56 -0500, "Morris Dovey"

|| It's done all the time, Al - In fact, I just set up a 'rule' on
|| Outhouse Express that deletes all of netnanny's sigs. :cool:
|
| I can do better - a rule that deletes his entire post :)
|
| I'd be interested in how you get OE to edit a received post with a
| rule. In Outlook non-express, it could be done by running a script,
| I suppose, but I've never used OE.

Well, it's not exactly "editing". If truth be told, it deleted all
headers /and/ the message text right along with the sig. :-D

That explains it said:
Never used OE? Excellent decision!
I'm inclined to believe that in its original form OE was a real-time
tectonic emulator with more fault lines than California put together.

I have to use Outlook at work, and that's bad enough. Microsoft
assumes that you'll like OE - you can't even uninstall it, though you
can remove it from menus and pretend it isn't there.

osmium

Al Balmer said:
I have to use Outlook at work, and that's bad enough. Microsoft
assumes that you'll like OE - you can't even uninstall it, though you
can remove it from menus and pretend it isn't there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the requirements that had to be
met for software on Windows 95 to display the "official" Microsoft logo on
its packaging, that it had have provisions to uninstall the software?

Al Balmer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the requirements that had to be
met for software on Windows 95 to display the "official" Microsoft logo on
its packaging, that it had have provisions to uninstall the software?
That only applied to other people <g>. Actually, I think the current
ability to hide it is only because of the DOJ requirement
(pseudo-unbundling?)

Mark McIntyre

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the requirements that had to be
met for software on Windows 95 to display the "official" Microsoft logo on
its packaging, that it had have provisions to uninstall the software?

OE was shipped as part of Win95 as far as I remember. Recall the great
Browser Court Case ?
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Morris Dovey

Default User wrote:

| Speaking of .sigs, yours doesn't have the standard separator. That's
| "-- " (dash dash space) on a line by itself. Yours is missing the
| space.

Very strange... It's in the sig file and in the locally archived
'sent' copy (as well as in the sig below).

I may have gremlins in my machine 8-|

Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote:
| Default User wrote:
|
|| Speaking of .sigs, yours doesn't have the standard separator.
|| That's "-- " (dash dash space) on a line by itself. Yours is
|| missing the space.
|
| Very strange... It's in the sig file and in the locally archived
| 'sent' copy (as well as in the sig below).

| I may have gremlins in my machine 8-|

Hmm. I lied - there's no separator in my sig file. Not sure why you
aren't seeing the space. OE would seem to be recognizing the
separator, but I don't know that it looks for more than double
hyphens. :-(

Walter Roberson

| Speaking of .sigs, yours doesn't have the standard separator. That's
| "-- " (dash dash space) on a line by itself. Yours is missing the
| space.
Very strange... It's in the sig file and in the locally archived
'sent' copy (as well as in the sig below).

I confirm that by the time your messages reach me, the trailing space
on the separator is gone.

This is, of course, entirely conforming behaviour for a C program:

C89 4.9.2 Streams

A text stream is an ordered sequence of characters composed into
lines, each line consisting of zero or more characters plus a
terminating new-line character. Whether the last line requires
a terminating new-line character is implementation-defined.
Characters may have to be added, altered, or deleted on input and
output to conform to differing conventions for representing text
in the host environment. Thus, there need not be a one-to-one
correspondance between the characters in a stream and those in
the external represtnation. Data read in from a text stream
will necessarily compare equal to the data that were earlier written
out to that stream only if: the data consists only of printable
characters and the control characters horizontal tab and new-line;
no new-line character is immediately preceded by space characters; and
the last character is a new-line character. Whether space characters
that are written out immediately before a new-line character
appear when read in is implementation-defined.

Kenny McCormack

Morris Dovey wrote:
| Default User wrote:
|
|| Speaking of .sigs, yours doesn't have the standard separator.
|| That's "-- " (dash dash space) on a line by itself. Yours is
|| missing the space.
|
| Very strange... It's in the sig file and in the locally archived
| 'sent' copy (as well as in the sig below).

| I may have gremlins in my machine 8-|

Hmm. I lied - there's no separator in my sig file. Not sure why you
aren't seeing the space. OE would seem to be recognizing the
separator, but I don't know that it looks for more than double
hyphens. :-(

I'm pretty sure the phrase "dash dash space" does not appear in the C
standard. Further, OE is off-topic here; I'm sure someone else will
helpfully provide a pointer to an appropriate newsgroup.
Therefore, your post is:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Useful clc-related links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

Default User

Morris said:
Hmm. I lied - there's no separator in my sig file. Not sure why you
aren't seeing the space.

You can check the settings on your newsreader, I suppose. That may be
some sort of option.
OE would seem to be recognizing the
separator, but I don't know that it looks for more than double
hyphens. :-(

Some newsreaders will recognize non-standard separators. Mine will, but
I have it set to "strict" in that regard.

Brian

Flash Gordon

Walter Roberson wrote, On 15/06/07 22:54:
I confirm that by the time your messages reach me, the trailing space
on the separator is gone.

This is, of course, entirely conforming behaviour for a C program:

C89 4.9.2 Streams

<snip>

Which just goes to show some of OE might be written in C.

OS stripping the space from the sig-sep is well known in certain places.
I suggest searching for quotefix, I've no experience of it myself, but
I've heard it fixes a number of broken elements of OE. Or, of course,
use something that work better.

Richard Heathfield

Morris Dovey said:

Hmm. I lied - there's no separator in my sig file. Not sure why you
aren't seeing the space.

Well, they're tricky beasts to see at the best of times, but in this
case we're not seeing it because it's not there.
OE would seem to be recognizing the
separator, but I don't know that it looks for more than double
hyphens. :-(

Why not get a real newsreader, Morris? :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

KNode would have stripped this out if it were well-formed.

ObTopic: the three-character sequence "-- " occurs no fewer than 42
times in my draft copy of C89. Does that make sig block markers topical
here?

Richard said:
Morris Dovey said:

Well, they're tricky beasts to see at the best of times, but in this
case we're not seeing it because it's not there.

I almost said that, but decided that he meant, "I don't know why my
messages don't contain it in the correct place."

I'm just that kind of swell guy.

Brian

Morris Dovey

Flash Gordon wrote:

| I suggest searching for quotefix, I've no experience of it
| myself, but I've heard it fixes a number of broken elements of OE.
| Or, of course, use something that work better.

<vbg> I've been running quotefix, and was just wondering if that might
not be part of the problem.

I'm fairly certain OE isn't written in (standard) C.

Morris Dovey

Richard Heathfield wrote:
| Morris Dovey said:
|
| <snip>
|
|| Hmm. I lied - there's no separator in my sig file. Not sure why you
|| aren't seeing the space.
|
| Well, they're tricky beasts to see at the best of times, but in this
| case we're not seeing it because it's not there.
|
|| OE would seem to be recognizing the
|| separator, but I don't know that it looks for more than double
|| hyphens. :-(
|
| Why not get a real newsreader, Morris? :)

Ok. Will return when I've managed to repair it.

Flash Gordon

Morris Dovey wrote, On 16/06/07 02:36:
Flash Gordon wrote:

| I suggest searching for quotefix, I've no experience of it
| myself, but I've heard it fixes a number of broken elements of OE.
| Or, of course, use something that work better.

<vbg> I've been running quotefix, and was just wondering if that might
not be part of the problem.

Check your options than.
I'm fairly certain OE isn't written in (standard) C.

True, but if some of it was then it would be allowed to behave like this :)

Keith Thompson

Flash Gordon said:
Morris Dovey wrote, On 16/06/07 02:36:

Check your options than.

True, but if some of it was then it would be allowed to behave like
this :)

This is, of course, entirely theoretical; OE runs on an OS that allows
trailing blanks in text files.

Chris Hills

Jack Dowson <[email protected]> said:
Hello Everybody:
I'm learning c now.I think it's really a tedious job following my
textbook to write programs which are used to deal with math problems.I
want to write some codes related with OS(just like creating processes or
so).Then it may refers to the applying of windows API.
Now here is my question:How to use api in my source code without
error?Will the statement "#include<windows.h>" do(I can't find this head
file in my include directory)?Or there might have some other ways?
By the way:My os is windowXP and compiler is TURBO c2.0.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dowson.

1 You will need to ask in a more suitable NG ie a windows one.

2 Turbo C 2 whilst a very good compiler in it's day targeted DOS and at
best Win3.1 You will need a a much newer compiler that has the
capability to handle the newer processors and has the libraries for
Windows XP.