QUERY: .NET 1.1 vs 2.0 min. requirements & performance....

Dhruba Bandopadhyay

Just wondering, what is the minimum AND recommended requirements
(hardware-wise) to run .NET run-time libraries (the 22MB installation)? Is
there a difference in performance & requirements between .NET 1.1 & 2.0?

AGH!

..NET runtime is a windows update download for regular XP Home/Pro
computers as well as being available with the .NET development tools.
In other words there are no particular requirements over what is
recommended for the base operating system and other applications.
No significant difference 1.1 & 2

Dhruba Bandopadhyay

I definitely believe there is a performance difference between 1.1 & 2.0.
Well maybe a little. Definitely if I install both 1.1 & 2.0 runtime & SDK
then my 256MB RAM laptop goes so so slow. Even when I uninstall them all, my
laptop is still super slow. I have to revert back to a previous C:\Document
& Settings\ backup to get back my usual speed. Now I realised I can install
2.0 alone and my laptop seems to be running okay now, but still not as fast
as initial clean installation of Windows XP SP2.

AGH!

I would politely suggest 256MB RAM is too little memory for XP despite
what Microsoft might recommend. 512MB+ is best, preferably 1GB+ for a
Visual Studio workstation. If you are under resourced to start with I
can well beleive .NET 1.1 and 2 together make it noticeably worse.

Dave

I agree. 512MB should be considered the min. practical RAM for an XP
system, with or without .NET.