Query regarding support for IPv6 in python

Pramod TK

Hello All,
I have some queries related to python support for IPv6. Can you kindly
clarify the doubts which I have -
1. Does python support IPv6? [128 bit IP addresses?]
2. Does it support setting of QoS flags?
3. Does it support tunneling of IPv6 on a IPv4 network?
4. If an IPv4 address is given, does it support this on a IPv6 network?
If not can you kindly let me know, Are there any plans for supporting these
features in future?

For Example -
In IPv4 we have gethostbyname() function, which is deprecated in IPv6. In
IPv6, getaddrinfo() and new data structure like struct addrinfo is
introduced.
Is this new function getaddrinfo() of IPv6 is supported in Win32 Extensions
for python.

Thanks in Advance,
Pramod TK

Sybren Stuvel

Pramod TK enlightened us with:
1. Does python support IPv6? [128 bit IP addresses?]
Yes.

2. Does it support setting of QoS flags?

No idea.
3. Does it support tunneling of IPv6 on a IPv4 network?

IIRC that's the OS's job, not Python's.
4. If an IPv4 address is given, does it support this on a IPv6
network?

It does if you use the compatability notation ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Is this new function getaddrinfo() of IPv6 is supported in Win32
Extensions for python.

I don't know anything about windows.

Sybren

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Pramod said:
Is this new function getaddrinfo() of IPv6 is supported in Win32 Extensions
for python.

Yes, since Python 2.4 (actually, not in the Win32 extensions, but in the
standard Python socket module for Win32).

Regards,
Martin

Heiko Wundram

Am Mittwoch 26 April 2006 17:02 schrieb Pramod TK:
1. Does python support IPv6? [128 bit IP addresses?]
Yes.

2. Does it support setting of QoS flags?

Yes. That's a socket option which you can set just as you would set it using C
(at least under Unix, under Windows: no idea).
3. Does it support tunneling of IPv6 on a IPv4 network?

No. That's an OS's job. You could, of course, implement a 6in4-tunnel using
TUN interfaces, completely in Python. But I don't think that's what you want
to do. And, anyway, your host OS would need IPv6 support for this to work. I
wouldn't know how you'd go about implementing this on Windows, though.
4. If an IPv4 address is given, does it support this on a IPv6 network?

Depends on the OS. If the OS supports 6to4, then Python does too (because an
IPv4-Adress is simply mapped to an IPv6-Network with a certain notation, look
up the documentation for the 2001::-network on Wikipedia, for example). If
the OS doesn't, Python doesn't either. This is also an OS job, not a Python
job.

--- Heiko.