Query some big data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by mehdi_mousavi, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. Hi folks,
    Consider a "web method" that is supposed to return some data, say,
    houndred of thousands of records in a form of a named dataset. The
    question is that what's the official way to return this large block of
    data chunk by chunk under an ASP.NET web service? We could consider
    every web method's prototype as follows but this doesn't seem to be
    neat solution:

    public myDataSet1 QuerySomeData(int startPostion, int
    totalNumberOfRecord/*whatever formal parameter goes here*/);

    public myDataSet2 QuerySomeOtherData(int startPostion, int
    totalNumberOfRecord/*whatever formal parameter goes here*/);

    ..
    ..
    ..

    You see, this actually doesn't seem to be a perfect solution, since
    I've to inject those two first parameters to ask the
    "totalNumberOfRecord" to be returned from the "startPostion".

    Any help would be highly appreciated,

    Cheers,
    M.Mousavi
    mehdi_mousavi, Feb 10, 2006