Query with subelements inside words

dizzyhaze

Here is a sample of the kind of XML I'm working with:

<root>
</root>

I would like to be able to extract the contents of <elemt> as a string
without the subelements and with the integrity of the words
unaffected...for example:

<result>
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
</result>

I have tried various approaches with XQuery along the lines of...

for $TheResult in (/root/elemt) return normalize-space($TheResult)

....but the best I've been able to do is this:

<result>
Something is ro tt en in the state of Den mark
</result>

As you can see, spaces are being inserted in undesirable locations.

Any ideas as to how I can make this work in XQuery?

thanks
Diz.

dizzyhaze

Problem solved.

My XQuery implementation was/is buggy. Saxon returns the correct result
if fed

fn:string(/root/elemt)

regards,
Diz.