    Thanks in advance,

    Jomo
    , Jan 1, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > How do I generate a request from an HTML search form (or
    > button/hyperlink) to search/query an XML data file, using CGI scripts,
    > and have the results displayed within an HTML page?

    A HTML form allows you to make a HTTP request (usually either a GET
    request where the arg=value data pairs are submitted as part of the URL
    or a POST request where the arg=value data pairs are submitted as the
    request body).
    You CGI script (set as
    <form action="whatever.cgi" ...>
    ) then has (language dependent) means to read out the submitted data (e.g.
    $_GET
    $_POST
    in PHP) and then all you need to know how to query an XML file in the
    server side language of your choice.
    How you extract data from the XML and transform it to HTML might also
    depend on the server side environment you use, XSLT is a nice way to do
    that.

    I think you are better off to ask in a group about the server side
    language you use (e.g. PHP or Perl or Java) on how to solve the task, of
    course after checking available documentation

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jan 1, 2005