Query XML file and display within HTML

jomo

Hi,

I need some technical help.

How do I generate a request from an HTML search form (or
button/hyperlink) to search/query an XML data file, using CGI scripts,
and have the results displayed within an HTML page?
Thanks in advance,

Jomo

Martin Honnen

How do I generate a request from an HTML search form (or
button/hyperlink) to search/query an XML data file, using CGI scripts,
and have the results displayed within an HTML page?

A HTML form allows you to make a HTTP request (usually either a GET
request where the arg=value data pairs are submitted as part of the URL
or a POST request where the arg=value data pairs are submitted as the
request body).
You CGI script (set as
<form action="whatever.cgi" ...>
) then has (language dependent) means to read out the submitted data (e.g.
$_GET
$_POST
in PHP) and then all you need to know how to query an XML file in the
server side language of your choice.
How you extract data from the XML and transform it to HTML might also
depend on the server side environment you use, XSLT is a nice way to do
that.

I think you are better off to ask in a group about the server side
language you use (e.g. PHP or Perl or Java) on how to solve the task, of
course after checking available documentation