query

Discussion in 'Python' started by drn, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. drn

    drn Guest

    sir/madam,
    as we are going to develop a educational s/w for children at preprimary level
    we are facing some problems in deciding what platform to choose and what s/w to
    use. so please help.
    -we have more of graphics work.
    -we have two students working simutaneously on one system.
    -we will be having 4-5 systems in total in one classroom.

    -----shall we go for one system as a linux sever with somewhat higher
    configuration and rest as terminals (lower configuration)and each terminal
    connected to the server. what configuration do you suggest which is reasonable
    and sufficient.

    or

    -----shall we go for individual terminals with Linux 7.3, and with a minimum of
    around 600 MB of free space,Minimum requirement for RAM 32 MB. (Not less than
    this),Minimum requirement for Hard Disk 2.1GB,There will be no networking even
    among machines at one location.

    -----which lanuage do you suggest - c/c++ or any browser based software like
    php/python.

    please help and send your suggestions as soon as possible.
    my email id is
    thanks and regards
    DRN

    --
    Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
    This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr

    http://forums.club-internet.fr/

    drn, Sep 29, 2003

  2. drn

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "drn" <> wrote in message
    > as we are going to develop a educational s/w for children at

    preprimary level

    My daughter started with simple games at about age 3, so I know this
    can be productive.

    > we are facing some problems in deciding what platform to choose and

    what s/w to
    > use. so please help.
    > -we have more of graphics work.
    > -we have two students working simutaneously on one system.
    > -we will be having 4-5 systems in total in one classroom.
    >
    > -----shall we go for one system as a linux sever with somewhat

    higher
    > -----shall we go for individual terminals with Linux 7.3, and with a

    minimum of > around 600 MB of free space,Minimum requirement for RAM
    32 MB. >Minimum requirement for Hard Disk 2.1GB,

    The cheapest machines you can buy in US (about $600) have much more
    than this. With duplicate machines, any program you develop on one
    will run on all.

    >There will be no networking even among machines at one location.

    I think this would be a mistake. Network cards cost US$10-20. An
    8-port hub or router < $200, I think. When you write a program, it
    will be *much* easier to install on other machine with a network. The
    same will be mostly true for files downloaded from Internet.

    > -----which lanuage do you suggest - c/c++ or any browser based

    software like
    > php/python.

    Python is not browser based. It is a complete standalone language
    just like C/C++. It also has many free add-ons available, like
    PyGame, which you might
    find useful for games and other graphics work.

    > please help and send your suggestions as soon as possible.
    > my email id is

    Posted and CCed

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Sep 29, 2003

  3. drn

    John J. Lee Guest

    drn <> writes:

    > sir/madam,

    Oops. Your subject line and this formal greeting makes your message
    look like spam. People rarely say anything more formal than 'hi' on
    USENET, and quite often nothing at all. And your subject line tells
    people almost exactly nothing (and why is that Re: there -- you're not
    replying to any message, are you?).

    > as we are going to develop a educational s/w for children at preprimary level
    > we are facing some problems in deciding what platform to choose and what s/w to
    > use. so please help.
    > -we have more of graphics work.

    What kind of graphics? I don't know the right questions to ask you
    here, but telling us whether it's 2D or 3D would be a start...

    > -we have two students working simutaneously on one system.
    > -we will be having 4-5 systems in total in one classroom.
    >
    > -----shall we go for one system as a linux sever with somewhat higher

    [...]

    This isn't a Python question. Try one of the comp.os.linux* groups,
    perhaps.

    > -----which lanuage do you suggest - c/c++ or any browser based software like
    > php/python.

    You need to give more information about your objectives. Certainly
    I'd strongly reccommend all newbies to avoid C and C++ like the plague
    until they know *exactly* why they need them (you may well not need
    them at all).

    Still, you might like to look at Pygame:

    http://pygame.org/

    > please help and send your suggestions as soon as possible.
    > my email id is

    It's usually called an "email address", not an "email id". :)

    John

    John J. Lee, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Terry Reedy fed this fish to the penguins on Monday 29 September 2003
    07:48 am:

    > I think this would be a mistake. Network cards cost US$10-20. An
    > 8-port hub or router < $200, I think. When you write a program, it

    I think I paid less than US$60 for a 5-port 10/100 switch (or 4-port
    with uplink to another switch).

    A quantity buy, with some organization purchase order, might be able
    to get discounts from that even.

    Granted, figuring out the difference between a hub and switch is
    getting difficult these days... My memory seems to recall that hubs
    used to repeat packets on all ports, and tied all ports to the speed of
    the slowest connection on any port. Switches used to be differentiated
    by being able to run split speeds (repacketizing/speed-shifting on a
    per port basis) and would learn the IPs active on the ports to reduce
    meaningless repeats. But now there are split speed hubs on the market...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 29, 2003
  5. drn

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Terry Reedy" <> writes:

    > "drn" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    > > -----which lanuage do you suggest - c/c++ or any browser based
    > > software like php/python.

    > Python is not browser based. It is a complete standalone language
    > just like C/C++. It also has many free add-ons available, like

    [...]

    Of course, it *can* be browser-based. Certainly MSIE, and I would
    assume Mozilla too (given the existence of PyXPCOM).

    John

    John J. Lee, Sep 30, 2003
  6. <posted & mailed>

    Terry Reedy wrote:

    > "drn" <> wrote in message
    >> as we are going to develop a educational s/w for children at

    > preprimary level
    >
    > My daughter started with simple games at about age 3, so I know this
    > can be productive.

    Ditto (and now she's just started university -- telecom engineering:).

    >> -----shall we go for individual terminals with Linux 7.3, and with a

    > minimum of > around 600 MB of free space,Minimum requirement for RAM
    > 32 MB. >Minimum requirement for Hard Disk 2.1GB,
    >
    > The cheapest machines you can buy in US (about $600) have much more
    > than this. With duplicate machines, any program you develop on one
    > will run on all.

    Wrong! You may be thinking of *general-purpose* "machines", but it
    seems to me drn may not need general-purpose machines. See:
    http://info.lindows.com/webstation/ -- $169 base price, runs Linux
    (lindows version) from CDROM ("unbreakable", "virus-proof":), 800 MHz
    processor, 256 MB RAM, no hard disk, no floppy, but with good audio
    and video, and 10/100 Ethernet.

    Basically you point its browser to wherever (presumably on the local
    LAN) the specialized server (which I would suggest writing in Python
    with Twisted, or perhaps with apache+webware) lives, and off you go.
    (If you want speakers, they're $5 extra; so is each of keyboard and mouse,
    and a screen [monitor] is also extra -- $120 for 15", $143 for 17").

    I'm not quite sure what the OP means by "Linux 7.3" (there is no
    such animal -- the next coming release of Linux will be 2.6; he may
    be thinking of some specific DISTRIBUTION of Linux, such as Mandrake,
    RedHat, SUSE -- I think 7.3 is very old for each of those, of course
    by different degrees since each keeps their own numbering;-), but I
    suspect Lindows OS 4.0 will be fine for him.

    If you do want a hard-disk in addition, admittedly the cheapest that
    you can add is 40GB, making the total (with speakers, keyboard, mouse
    AND 40 GB HD) $262. Still a fair bit less than $600 -- but I suspect
    (no direct experience with these webstations yet) that you could more
    cheaply get the diskspace from the central server via NFS anyway (as
    to how to configure and startup the machines to get their NFS shares,
    when the boot is always from CDROM, that's the part I don't know -- I
    suspect you may be able to save such config info on a floppy, the
    drive being $12 and taking the machine cost to $196 sans monitor --
    $316 with a 15" monitor, $339 with a 17" monitor instead). Given that
    the machines are advertised to come with the OpenOffice suite, I
    guess/assume there must be SOME way for you to get disk space (e.g.
    on the LAN) to save your work on -- be it NFS, SMB, or whatever.

    >>There will be no networking even among machines at one location.

    > I think this would be a mistake. Network cards cost US$10-20. An
    > 8-port hub or router < $200, I think. When you write a program, it
    > will be *much* easier to install on other machine with a network. The
    > same will be mostly true for files downloaded from Internet.

    Yes, it would be a disaster to forego the advantages of networking.
    Note that the above-mentioned "webstations" CRUCIALLY rely on the
    LAN to be usable -- and, like just about all computers these days,
    they come with 10/100 ethernet connectivity built-in anyway. I have
    seen 5-port 10/100 switches sold in stores, *VAT INCLUDED*, for
    $50 or less around here (so I'm sure they're cheaper in the US) --
    a few meters of cable, and off you go.

    >> -----which lanuage do you suggest - c/c++ or any browser based

    > software like
    >> php/python.

    > Python is not browser based. It is a complete standalone language
    > just like C/C++. It also has many free add-ons available, like
    > PyGame, which you might
    > find useful for games and other graphics work.

    Absolutely. But Python is PERFECTLY suitable for writing special
    purpose webservers -- or serverside applications that run together
    with apache -- which might be the best way to arrange the OP's
    goals. It's simply a more powerful AND simpler language than PHP,
    much higher-level than C, and MUCH simpler than C++. The only
    alternatives to Python which I think might be worthy of the OP's
    attention (if in his environment it should be easier to find
    programmers for those alternative languages) would be other languages
    of similar power and semantically high level: Ruby, Smalltalk, Common
    Lisp, O'CAML, Dylan, Haskell... out of all of these, Ruby and Python
    are the only two that can be learned FAST by typical programmers (i.e.,
    unless you start with programmers already skilled in some of the
    other ones), and Python is overall a bit simpler, roughly of the
    same power of Ruby, IMHO more suitable for multiple programmers to
    work together (because it emphasizes uniformity, while Ruby has
    emphasis on individual unbridled originality), AND offers vaster
    choice in terms of existing add-ons, extensions, integration with
    webservers and frameworks for writing standalone special servers
    (Twisted above all!), development environments, books, etc, etc.

    So, it would seem to me that Python should be the obvious choice
    unless special circumstances apply (e.g., half a dozen skilled
    Common Lisp coders are already around and available -- in such a
    fortunate case, by all means go with Common Lisp, for example).

    >> please help and send your suggestions as soon as possible.
    >> my email id is

    > Posted and CCed

    Ditto.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Sep 30, 2003
  7. drn

    John J. Lee Guest

    (John J. Lee) writes:

    > "Terry Reedy" <> writes:

    [...]
    > > Python is not browser based. It is a complete standalone language
    > > just like C/C++. It also has many free add-ons available, like

    > [...]
    >
    > Of course, it *can* be browser-based. Certainly MSIE, and I would
    > assume Mozilla too (given the existence of PyXPCOM).

    Just to clarify: I was assuming 'browser-based' means code running on
    the client side -- can just as easily be running on the server, of
    course. Python is very well suited to both.

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 1, 2003