Querying Active-HDL from TCL

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Rob Gaddi, Sep 19, 2012.

  1. Rob Gaddi

    Rob Gaddi Guest

    This is only approximately the right place to be asking this, but if
    anyone's going to have an answer, I figure it'll be here.

    Does anyone know how actually find anything about a design out from a
    TCL script in Aldec Active-HDL. Not anything particularly complicated,
    things like a list of the active libraries, or what models have
    been compiled into them. Or what files are in a design. Or whether or
    not a simulation is currently running.

    These all seem like trivial and reasonable things to want to know, but I
    haven't been able to find any documentation telling me how. I can use
    vlib to create a library, but there doesn't seem to be a call telling
    me whether or not a library exists.

    Anyone know anything on this? Advice for how to do it under ModelSim
    would help too; there's a lot of cross-over.

    Rob Gaddi, Sep 19, 2012

  2. Rob Gaddi

    HT-Lab Guest

    On 19/09/2012 18:54, Rob Gaddi wrote:
    > This is only approximately the right place to be asking this, but if
    > anyone's going to have an answer, I figure it'll be here.
    >
    > Does anyone know how actually find anything about a design out from a
    > TCL script in Aldec Active-HDL. Not anything particularly complicated,
    > things like a list of the active libraries, or what models have
    > been compiled into them. Or what files are in a design. Or whether or
    > not a simulation is currently running.
    >
    > These all seem like trivial and reasonable things to want to know, but I
    > haven't been able to find any documentation telling me how. I can use
    > vlib to create a library, but there doesn't seem to be a call telling
    > me whether or not a library exists.
    >
    > Anyone know anything on this? Advice for how to do it under ModelSim
    > would help too; there's a lot of cross-over.

    I don't know Active HDL but in Modelsim you have the report command
    which can give you bit and pieces like file list, the state of the
    simulator, log file locations etc.

    You can use the vmap command to list the libraries which are mapped in
    the modelim.ini file. This does not however tell you which libraries are
    actually used, it simply echoes the modelsim.ini [Library] section.

    The vdir command spews out lots of information on a design unit (or
    whole library).

    Another useful command (but currently broken in the 10.1x release) is
    the "echo [StartupGetArgs]" command which is useful to find out how
    Modelsim was invoked (not always clear if invoked from another tool like
    HDL Designer, ISE etc).

    Regards,
    Hans.
    www.ht-lab.com