Querying XML Files

Guest

Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other end to
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Patirck Ige

Ken hm...the ADO.NET XML Provider -- WilsonXmlDbClient v1.0 must be GREAT
I'm doing some stuuf on it right away..
By the way i tried the sample code you pasted in your blog but i get error
at:-
xmldbda.Fill(ds)
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "
Any ideas

Ken Cox said:
Hi Bahman,

If you know SQL and want an easy way to query XML, check out
WilsonXmlDbClient. I wrote about it recently on my blog:

http://weblogs.asp.net/kencox/archive/2005/10/04/426600.aspx

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Bahman said:
Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other end
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Patirck Ige

All good Ken
I was missing somethng..
Will explore more of it.
Patrick
** Nice stuff to query XML

Bahman said:
Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other end
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Patirck Ige

Ken if i would like to Query and xml file like (Will it be possible to use
the WilsonXmlDbClient ) :-
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TREENODES>
<TreeNode Text="Human Resources">
<TreeNode Text="Add Employee" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target=""/>
<TreeNode Text="Forms">
<TreeNode Text="" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target=""/>
<TreeNode Text="" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target=""/>
</TreeNode>
<TreeNode Text="Rosters">
<TreeNode Text="" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target=""/>
<TreeNode Text="" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target=""/>
</TreeNode>
</TREENODES>
This is the XML structure a Treeview Webcontrol Menu uses and i have wanted
to have the
easiest way to manage it.This XML above is a simple structure but they grow
more complicated
when you have 5 nodes or more under a main NODE.
I don't want to query the database because the Nodes are growing and that
means the
Treeview menu when loading will be very slow.
Also i was thinking of passing XML strings to the TREENODESRC but i can't
imagine how long that would be.
If its possible what i want is have a Whole bunch of the XML file that
contains the whole links and then query it and pass it to the right
pages based on Roles from the Active Directory
Any ideas?
Patrick

Patirck Ige said:
All good Ken
I was missing somethng..
Will explore more of it.
Patrick
** Nice stuff to query XML

Ken Cox said:
Hi Bahman,

If you know SQL and want an easy way to query XML, check out
WilsonXmlDbClient. I wrote about it recently on my blog:

http://weblogs.asp.net/kencox/archive/2005/10/04/426600.aspx

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other end
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Patrick,

You've gone beyond my limited knowledge of WilsonXmlDbClient. Best to ask
the author how to query that type of data.

BTW, you name is misspelled in your header (Patirck)

Ken

Patirck Ige said:
[...]

Patirck Ige said:
All good Ken
I was missing somethng..
Will explore more of it.
Patrick
** Nice stuff to query XML

Patirck Ige said:
[...]

Ken,

This is great.

One question:

How do I install and reference the dll on the web server?

I don't have any tools with me. Just a web server. So this would need to be
a C# implementation. Somehow I have the feeling this is not how it is
intended to work.

If not, where do I go from here?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Bahman said:
Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other end
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Bahman,

Just get or build the binary (dll) and put it in your Web's /bin directory.
The language (C# or VB) shouldn't make a difference as long as the DLL can
be found.

Ken

Bahman said:
Hello!

I have one issue that I am trying to work out.

I am creating an RSS XML feed. However, I want the user at the other
end
be able to query the XML file, for example, display only records for a
particular room. This would be similar to 'where room_id = 12'.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank you very much!

-Bahman

Patrick.O.Ige

I will contact Paul then.
And thx for the misspelled name but at the same time the name looks more
interesting.
Patrick alias Patirck:)

Patirck Ige said:
[...]

Patirck Ige said: