QUES: Where can I find Xilinx M1 tools

Ted

I have to make a change to a XC4005pc84-5 part but I don't have the tools that
support XC4000 parts. I've gone all the way back to Alliance Series 1.5i
and XC4000E's are supported but not XC4000's. I believe I need an old set
of M1 tools but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know where I
can get an old set of Xilinx tools that can supports XC4000 parts (not
XC4000E parts).

Thanks for any info.

Ted

B. Joshua Rosen

I have to make a change to a XC4005pc84-5 part but I don't have the tools that
support XC4000 parts. I've gone all the way back to Alliance Series 1.5i
and XC4000E's are supported but not XC4000's. I believe I need an old set
of M1 tools but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know where I
can get an old set of Xilinx tools that can supports XC4000 parts (not
XC4000E parts).

Thanks for any info.

Ted

You probably need the XACT tools, if the 4000s weren't supported in 1.5
then they probably weren't supported in M1 either.

Steve Casselman

I believe you need the Classic package.

http://www.xilinx.com/webpack/classics/wpclassic/index.htm

Steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain
privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying,
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received it in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete the message
and any attachments without copying, using or disclosing the contents.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Ralph Malph

Ted said:
I have to make a change to a XC4005pc84-5 part but I don't have the tools that
support XC4000 parts. I've gone all the way back to Alliance Series 1.5i
and XC4000E's are supported but not XC4000's. I believe I need an old set
of M1 tools but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know where I
can get an old set of Xilinx tools that can supports XC4000 parts (not
XC4000E parts).

Thanks for any info.

Are you sure they aren't bitstream compatible? I seem to recall that a
lot of different XC4000xxx families used the same bit stream, they just
used different voltages, etc.

Peter Alfke

Here is what I wrote for the 1998 data book:

"Any XC4000E device is pin-out and bitstream-compatible with the
corresponding XC4000 device. An existing XC4000 bitstream can be used to
program an XC4000E device, but since the XC4000E includes many new
features, an XC4000E bitstream cannot be loaded into an XC4000 device."

And X000EX and -XL are all derived from ther XC4000E...

So this means, you need XC4000-type software, and we are looking into that...
Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications
===========================

Philip Freidin

I have to make a change to a XC4005pc84-5 part but I don't have the tools that
support XC4000 parts. I've gone all the way back to Alliance Series 1.5i
and XC4000E's are supported but not XC4000's. I believe I need an old set
of M1 tools but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know where I
can get an old set of Xilinx tools that can supports XC4000 parts (not
XC4000E parts).

Thanks for any info.

Ted

The software that you need is prior to M1. It is the XACT sw, the last version
was 5.2.1 (DOS) 6.0.1 (Win 3.1). This sw requires a dongle to run. The dongle
needs a printer port that doesn't run too fast (recent machines can cycle
port reads and writes too fast to the printer port, and the dongle does not
respond correctly. An ISA bus plugin printer port card has a higher probability
of running the dongle that the now more common PCI based parallel printer ports)

Philip

Philip Freidin
Fliptronics

JoeG

Ted said:
I have to make a change to a XC4005pc84-5 part but I don't have the tools that
support XC4000 parts. I've gone all the way back to Alliance Series 1.5i
and XC4000E's are supported but not XC4000's. I believe I need an old set
of M1 tools but I don't know where to find them. Does anyone know where I
can get an old set of Xilinx tools that can supports XC4000 parts (not
XC4000E parts).

Thanks for any info.

Ted

Ted -- I feel for you! Xilinx has dropped all support on their newer
tools (as you've discovered) for legacy parts such as the XC4005! I have
made several trumpet blasts on this newsgroup about this very
problem. Just do a google search in the groups category on XACT.

XC4005(non E) devices are ONLY support by XACT 5.2.1 software -- a CD
was offered by Xilinx which contained the tools which could either be
hosted on a PC supporting Win 3.1 or on a Sun Workstation supporting
SUNOS 4.1.

A Xilinx or a Xilinx distributor should assist you in getting the CD.
Regarding the license(dongle for the PC) -- Xilinx will help you with
that as well.

I hope this helps.

JoeG