Questing about ASP.net hosting

dejavue82

Dear ASP.net programmers,

I was wondering about the following:

1) Do hosts automatically support all of the .NET framework? (ex.
System.Image)
2) If one rents a dedicated server, does one have full control over
it? (ie. one can install any
3rd part component such a ASP Turbine 7)

I am new to the world of web applications, so I would appreciate any
help. Thank you.

Regards,

Jim Light.

Jeff

Regarding #1 - I have never heard of anyong disabling part of the .NET
framework... I'm not sure if it's even possible. In any case, it's not
likely you would ever run into that. .NET hosting is different from ASP
classic hosting in which you were limited in the types of COM components
that hosting providers would allow to be registered on the server. That's
because custom COM components are potentially dangerous (i.e. memory leaks,
etc could crash the entire server). With .NET, rogue objects are much less
likely - so the hosting providers don't really care what your classes do.
..NET and IIS6 won't let them kill the entire server like COM components
could. What they might care a lot about is the amount of memory your ASP.NET
Web application uses. If your app is a memory hog they may take your site
offline and/or require you to purchase more expensive hosting plan.

Regarding #2 - you generally get full administrative control over the server
provided that you access it using remote access software approved by the
provider (e.g., terminal services). They really don't care what you install
(of course within their legal agreements... you can't set up porn servers
with many of them, for example). If you crash it they'll be happy to rebuild
it - for a fee. They'll generally configure and install 3rd party stuff for
you - but that's also likely to entail additional fees. You really need to
shop around in order to get more specific answers.

Good Luck.

-Jeff