question about ActiveX and Java Applet within Web Broswer

Guest

I have the following question about them and need your help.

1. Can ActiveX control open a socket in client machine to connect to a third
machine other than web server?
2. Can ActiveX control invoke a client side application? I remember it can
before. Any restriction on it?
3. Same questions to Java Applet within Web browser.

Thank you very much.

David

Bruce Barker

an active/x control can perform any function the user has rights to. there
are no addition restrictions then any other application run by the user. so
it can run applications, read/write to the filesystem, reboot the box,
access local network shares, you name it.

java applets run in a security sandbox, and have lots of restrictions. they
can only open a port back the hosting domain (original web server).

note: if the active/x control is written in .net, then the .net vm uses a
sandbox and the restriction look like java, unless the trust levels are
modified on the client machine.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)