Question about Boost Library naming ?

kathy

I am using Boost test library now and find there are several libraries
there:

libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.a
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.a
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-s-1_47.a

what are differences between the 3 libraies (with "s", or with "mt",
or no "mt" and "s")?

also, for VC++ compiler, there is:

boost_unit_test_framework-vc100-mt-1_47.dll

but MinGW have:

libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.dll
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.dll

Why MinGW have more?

Alf P. Steinbach

I am using Boost test library now and find there are several libraries
there:

libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.a
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.a
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-s-1_47.a

what are differences between the 3 libraies (with "s", or with "mt",
or no "mt" and "s")?

In Windows the libraries specify which versions of the runtime library
the use, so that there "needs" to be one library version for each
possible runtime library implementation.

For Windows I would GUESS that the first uses an import library for a
DLL version of the runtime, that the second "mt" uses statically linked
implementation with support for multiple threads, and the the third uses
a statically linked implementation that only supports single thread.

Now that you have some direction, it might be easier to find this in the
Boost documentation -- which is where you need to look.

also, for VC++ compiler, there is:

boost_unit_test_framework-vc100-mt-1_47.dll

but MinGW have:

libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.dll
libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.dll

Why MinGW have more?

I don't know, but as of version 10.0 Visual C++ does no longer support
the single-thread implementations of the runtime library.

Again, you need to look this up in the relevant Boost documentation.

As such it's pedantically off-topic here, but this group has never had a
charter (as many wrongfully believe it has), and I think it's of
interest to many...

Cheers & hth., somewhat,

- Alf