Question about Boost Library naming ?

Discussion in 'C++' started by kathy, Aug 2, 2011.

  1. kathy

    kathy Guest

    I am using Boost test library now and find there are several libraries
    there:

    libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.a
    libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.a
    libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-s-1_47.a

    what are differences between the 3 libraies (with "s", or with "mt",
    or no "mt" and "s")?

    also, for VC++ compiler, there is:

    boost_unit_test_framework-vc100-mt-1_47.dll

    but MinGW have:

    libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.dll
    libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.dll

    Why MinGW have more?

    kathy, Aug 2, 2011

  2. On 02.08.2011 17:07, kathy wrote:
    > I am using Boost test library now and find there are several libraries
    > there:
    >
    > libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.a
    > libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.a
    > libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-s-1_47.a
    >
    > what are differences between the 3 libraies (with "s", or with "mt",
    > or no "mt" and "s")?

    In Windows the libraries specify which versions of the runtime library
    the use, so that there "needs" to be one library version for each
    possible runtime library implementation.

    For Windows I would GUESS that the first uses an import library for a
    DLL version of the runtime, that the second "mt" uses statically linked
    implementation with support for multiple threads, and the the third uses
    a statically linked implementation that only supports single thread.

    Now that you have some direction, it might be easier to find this in the
    Boost documentation -- which is where you need to look.

    > also, for VC++ compiler, there is:
    >
    > boost_unit_test_framework-vc100-mt-1_47.dll
    >
    > but MinGW have:
    >
    > libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-mt-1_47.dll
    > libboost_unit_test_framework-mgw46-1_47.dll
    >
    > Why MinGW have more?

    I don't know, but as of version 10.0 Visual C++ does no longer support
    the single-thread implementations of the runtime library.

    Again, you need to look this up in the relevant Boost documentation.

    As such it's pedantically off-topic here, but this group has never had a
    charter (as many wrongfully believe it has), and I think it's of
    interest to many...

    Cheers & hth., somewhat,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 2, 2011