Question about building an intelligent subscribe/unsubscribe newsl

Guest

Hi,

I have a newsletter subscribe page. A user enters email address and clicks
Subscribe button. That email address is added to database. Say this is a
career newsletter. Is it possible to create an intelligent system that will
work such a way that every time a new job is added on the website, a
newsletter is sent to all the email address that are currently in the
database. I guess this is possible if one has a CMS (Content Management
System) but I would like to know if you think building such a system using
asp.net would be easy and quick.

Secondly, I would like to have a link in the emailed newsletter “click here
to Unsubscribeâ€. When this link is clicked an email with “Unsubscribe†will
be sent. Now I would like to build a system that when such an email with
“Unsubscribe†in the email comes in, that email address will be removed from
the db automatically.

I would like to know if this is possible to implement such an intelligent
system in asp.net easily. Is it time consuming? Do you think a CMS will be
a better solution? If so do you know of any CMS.

Thanks for you time

Joe

Kevin Spencer

I would like to know if this is possible to implement such an intelligent
system in asp.net easily. Is it time consuming? Do you think a CMS will
be
a better solution? If so do you know of any CMS.

"Easily" is one of those relative terms like "Big" that don't mean anything.
Easily compared to what? By whom? And "time consuming" is a similar
adjective. Everything is time consuming. Blinking your eye consumes a
fraction of a second.

It would be a snap for an experienced programmer to build such an app. It
would be nearly impossible for some. It would take less time for an
experienced programmer than an inexperienced programmer. How much time
depends on the skill level of the programmer, just as how easily is
determined by the skill level of the programmer.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Also, features and requirements are a determining factor in the ease and
amount of time necessary to build such a project. You've given us the
100,000-foot view of the app. The devil is in the details.

As for a CMS, there might be something out there that you can adapt, or
adapt to. Just Google it.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Guest

Thanks Kevin for your reply. I agree with what you said.

Currently our web pages are static html. I believe to create such an app,
the pages need to be generated dynamically and content should be stored in
DB. Otherwise I don’t think such kind of email notification feature can be
built to monitor changes to a static DHTML page. Am I correct?

Joe