question about client callback and gridview

Chris

Hi,

I read about client callback and i have a question.

Assume the option "sorting" is set in a gridview.
Each time the user clicks on a fieldname, the data are sorted.
My question is: are the data on each click fetched from the server, or are
they 'cached' on the client-side and so avoiding a lot of transferts
between server and browser?
If not 'cached', would it not bebetter to use the client callback
technology?

Thanks for explanation
Chris

PeterKellner

Hi,

I read about client callback and i have a question.

Assume the option "sorting" is set in a gridview.
Each time the user clicks on a fieldname, the data are sorted.
My question is: are the data on each click fetched from the server, or are
they 'cached' on the client-side and so avoiding a lot of transferts
between server and browser?
If not 'cached', would it not bebetter to use the client callback
technology?

Thanks for explanation
Chris

Sorting in gridview does cause a postback which resorts the data on
the server, and resends it to the client. The data on the server can
be Cached also.

I do not know of a way to move the data to the client and have a
javascript or sort it. I think you move out of GridView's when you do
that.
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net

Chris

Thanks,

Any reason they didn't implement the client callback technology in the
gridview? It would be faster and less net traffic ...

PeterKellner

Thanks,

Any reason they didn't implement the client callback technology in the
gridview? It would be faster and less net traffic ...
When you sort gridview data, it may contains lots of rows that are now
downloaded. (assuming you are using paging). The sort is for all the
data, not just the displayed data.

That is, downloading all the data to the client for sorting might be
prohibitive.
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net