    without pressing the "Enter" key.
    Any solution or suggestion is welcome, thank you!

    layman

    layman, Jan 24, 2005

  2. On 24 Jan 2005 01:27:11 GMT, layman wrote:
    > Hello group,
    > I wonder if there's any equivalent to C's getch() in java, i.e to
    > fetch a character from the console immediately after the user typed it,
    > without pressing the "Enter" key.
    > Any solution or suggestion is welcome, thank you!

    You seem to be using a Unix-like operating system. Here's a
    non-portable solution that uses stty to change the input mode:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/df697a1d029dd808

    After that, you can use System.in.read() to read single characters.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Andrew Thompson, Jan 25, 2005
  4. On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:36:19 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 24 Jan 2005 10:59:34 +0100, Gordon Beaton wrote:
    >> You seem to be using a Unix-like operating system.

    > Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I can determine no clue
    > from the headers or post as to the OP's OS, so I must be looking for
    > the wrong things.

    The presence of "X11" in the User-Agent string:

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 25, 2005
  5. On 25 Jan 2005 11:11:36 +0100, Gordon Beaton wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:36:19 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On 24 Jan 2005 10:59:34 +0100, Gordon Beaton wrote:
    >>> You seem to be using a Unix-like operating system.

    >> Out of curiosity, what makes you say that?

    > The presence of "X11" in the User-Agent string:

    Thanks. That was bugging me!

    And now, I better try and bow out of this technical
    discussion as gracefully as I can manage.

    <insert>
    Sound of splintering timbers/falling masonry/breaking glass.
    </insert> ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Gordon Beaton <> scribbled the following:
    > On 24 Jan 2005 01:27:11 GMT, layman wrote:
    >> Hello group,
    >> I wonder if there's any equivalent to C's getch() in java, i.e to
    >> fetch a character from the console immediately after the user typed it,
    >> without pressing the "Enter" key.
    >> Any solution or suggestion is welcome, thank you!

    > You seem to be using a Unix-like operating system. Here's a
    > non-portable solution that uses stty to change the input mode:

    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/df697a1d029dd808

    > After that, you can use System.in.read() to read single characters.

    Actually, it's Windows, not Unixen, that generally tends to have a
    getch() function implemented.

    "You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down
    and restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?"
    - Karri Kalpio

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  7. On 25 Jan 2005 19:54:46 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > Actually, it's Windows, not Unixen, that generally tends to have a
    > getch() function implemented.

    Did anyone suggest that wasn't the case?

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Gordon Beaton <> scribbled the following:
    > On 25 Jan 2005 19:54:46 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >> Actually, it's Windows, not Unixen, that generally tends to have a
    >> getch() function implemented.

    > Did anyone suggest that wasn't the case?

    Someone said "You seem to be on a Unix-like system" which I took to mean
    they thought the OP was using Unix.

    "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schitzophrenic and so am I."
    - Bob Wiley

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Joona I Palaste <> scribbled the following:
    > Gordon Beaton <> scribbled the following:
    >> On 25 Jan 2005 19:54:46 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >>> Actually, it's Windows, not Unixen, that generally tends to have a
    >>> getch() function implemented.

    >> Did anyone suggest that wasn't the case?

    > Someone said "You seem to be on a Unix-like system" which I took to mean
    > they thought the OP was using Unix.

    Clarifications:
    (1) That someone was you (not talking to myself of course).
    (2) My statement in my earlier post is a bit of a tautology. I meant
    "...which I took to mean the OP was referring to a Unix function".

    "Ice cream sales somehow cause drownings: both happen in summer."
    - Antti Voipio & Arto Wikla

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 25, 2005
  10. On 25 Jan 2005 21:43:12 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >> Someone said "You seem to be on a Unix-like system" which I took to mean
    >> they thought the OP was using Unix.

    > Clarifications:
    > (1) That someone was you (not talking to myself of course).
    > (2) My statement in my earlier post is a bit of a tautology. I meant
    > "...which I took to mean the OP was referring to a Unix function".

    I did say that (because I did think the OP was using Unix), but I made
    no statements about the "c-function" he mentioned.

    As I indicated in an earlier response to Andrew, I came to that
    conclusion based on his User-Agent setting, and used that to justify
    suggesting that particular platform-specific solution.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Jan 26, 2005
  11. layman

    T.N

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    please could any one help to replace getch()

    please please any one
    could any one tell me how can i replace getch() with proper instruction in
    JAVA
    please that is so urgent
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

    my e_mail :