Question about createTextNode in xml files

Discussion in 'XML' started by Danny, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    A text node is just that, a text node, NOT an ELEMENT node, <b> is an
    element node, you've have to
    s=document.createElement('b').appenChild(document.createTextNode('STUFF
    HERE')); or, as suggested already, use .innerHTML, text nodes is just the
    string, no formatting, just text/plain, .innerHTML is a defacto standard
    property which does take html as data, works fine, and you do need to
    escape reserved chars s.innerHTML='<b> GRASS ISN\'T YELLOW<\/b>';

    Danny

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:18:14 -0700, RobG <> wrote:

    > DKM wrote:
    >> RobG wrote:

    >>> This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    >>> "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".
    >>>
    >>> If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    >>> World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text
    >>> inside
    >>> it:

    Danny, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Danny

    DKM Guest

    I have an empty tag like <p id="pid"></p> in a xml file. And, I have a
    script as foolows:

    str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    ele = documeny.getElementById("pid");
    ele.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));

    I expected to see "Hello World!!!" in bold letters, but instead I see
    "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".

    I tried replacing / with \/, but that did not help. Then I tried
    replacing < with & lt ; and > with & gt ;, but that did not work, then
    I tried replacing < with \u 003e and > with \u 003c, but that did not
    work too. The exact string is being displayed instead of "Hello
    World!!!" in bold letters.

    There is no problem with html files. Both FireFox and IE display in
    bold letters.

    Any tip will be appreciated.

    Thanks very much in advance.

    D.K. Mishra
    DKM, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Danny

    RobG Guest

    DKM wrote:
    > I have an empty tag like <p id="pid"></p> in a xml file. And, I have a
    > script as foolows:
    >
    > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > ele = documeny.getElementById("pid");
    > ele.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));

    This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".

    If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text inside
    it:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function sayHelloWorld(){
    var str = 'Hello World!!!';
    var ele = document.getElementById('pid');
    var b = document.createElement('B');
    b.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));
    ele.appendChild(b);
    }
    </script>

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Danny

    DKM Guest

    DKM, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Danny

    RobG Guest

    DKM wrote:

    > RobG wrote:
    >
    >>DKM wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an empty tag like <p id="pid"></p> in a xml file. And, I have a
    >>>script as foolows:
    >>>
    >>>str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    >>>ele = documeny.getElementById("pid");
    >>>ele.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));

    >> This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    >> "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".
    >>
    >> If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    >> World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text inside
    >> it:

    [...]

    RobG, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Danny

    DKM Guest

    RobG wrote:
    > DKM wrote:
    > >
    > > RobG wrote:

    > >> This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    > >> "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".
    > >>
    > >> If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    > >> World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text inside
    > >> it:

    > [...]
    > > I was doing that from inside a java applet, but due to buggy nature of
    > > LiveConenct, I am creating a html formated string in the java applet
    > > and passing it to javascript. That has been working robustly without
    > > any crash. Now, the problem is to insert that html formatted string
    > > into the document.
    > >
    > > Any idea as to how one can dynamically insert a long and compleex html
    > > formated string into the document?
    > >

    > Then I guess you're stuck with innerHTML, but be aware that it is not
    > part of the W3C DOM.

    Its an xhtml application in a xml file, and innerHTML does not work in
    xml. I think IE treats xhtml file as html file and I can use innerHTML
    in IE and have the desired result. However, FireFox errors out on
    innerHTML.

    I was thinking how hard will it be to create a function that would take
    a formatted html string and create a document fragment out of it by
    calling standard DOM functions like createElement, appendChild and
    such. I bet a lot of folks must have thought about that and may have
    created such a function.

    What is that MSXML parser that one uses in IE? Is there such a beast
    for FireFox? Could that be used to "parse" the html formated string
    into a valid xml document?

    Thanks very much in advance.

    D.K. Mishra

    DKM, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Danny

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 15 Jun 2005 16:51:56 -0700, "DKM" <>
    wrote:

    >Any idea as to how one can dynamically insert a long and compleex html
    >formated string into the document?

    A "compleex html formated string" might be HTML, but that doesn't mean
    it's a well-formed XML fragment. Your string _must_ also be a balanced
    well-formed XML fragment to work with it like this - if it's coming from
    an external source, you might not be able to guarantee this (this is a
    problem for HTML-transporting XML protocols like RSS)

    To try and solve your immediate problem though, create a new, empty XML
    document as an object in your script, then use the .load() method to
    load and parse the string you have (yes, it's a slow parsing operation -
    no way to avoid it). Then copy this new fragment into the main DOM
    document.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Danny

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "DKM" <> wrote in message

    > RobG wrote:
    > > DKM wrote:
    > > > I have an empty tag like <p id="pid"></p> in a xml file. And, I have a
    > > > script as foolows:
    > > >
    > > > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > > > ele = documeny.getElementById("pid");
    > > > ele.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));

    > > This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    > > "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".
    > >
    > > If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    > > World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text

    inside
    > > it:
    > >
    > > <script type="text/javascript">
    > > function sayHelloWorld(){
    > > var str = 'Hello World!!!';
    > > var ele = document.getElementById('pid');
    > > var b = document.createElement('B');
    > > b.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));
    > > ele.appendChild(b);
    > > }
    > > </script>

    > I was doing that from inside a java applet, but due to buggy nature of
    > LiveConenct, I am creating a html formated string in the java applet
    > and passing it to javascript. That has been working robustly without
    > any crash. Now, the problem is to insert that html formatted string
    > into the document.
    >
    > Any idea as to how one can dynamically insert a long and compleex html
    > formated string into the document?
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.

    Rob's code should work, but not with an uppercase <B>, an long as you are
    using xhtml. All html-tags in XHtml are *lowercase*.
    Maybe thats your problem?

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Danny

    DKM Guest

    Dag Sunde wrote:
    > "DKM" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > RobG wrote:

    > > > This will create a text node with a value of the literal string
    > > > "<b>Hello World!!!</b>".
    > > >
    > > > If you are expecting an HTML <B> element containing the text "Hello
    > > > World!!!" then you need to create the B element and put the text

    > inside
    > > > it:
    > > >
    > > > <script type="text/javascript">
    > > > function sayHelloWorld(){
    > > > var str = 'Hello World!!!';
    > > > var ele = document.getElementById('pid');
    > > > var b = document.createElement('B');
    > > > b.appendChild(document.createTextNode(str));
    > > > ele.appendChild(b);
    > > > }
    > > > </script>

    > > I was doing that from inside a java applet, but due to buggy nature of
    > > LiveConenct, I am creating a html formated string in the java applet
    > > and passing it to javascript. That has been working robustly without
    > > any crash. Now, the problem is to insert that html formatted string
    > > into the document.
    > >
    > > Any idea as to how one can dynamically insert a long and compleex html
    > > formated string into the document?
    > >
    > > Thanks very much in advance.

    > Rob's code should work, but not with an uppercase <B>, an long as you are
    > using xhtml. All html-tags in XHtml are *lowercase*.
    > Maybe thats your problem?

    Thank you to everyone. I have now figured a solution to the problem.
    Instead of inserting the string as a textNode, what I am doing now is
    parsing the string into a document and appending the documentElement of
    the document as follows:

    str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    doc = new DOMParser().parseFromString(str, "text/xml");
    tmpEle = doc.DocumentElement;
    ele.appendChild(tmpEle);

    earlier I was doing the following:

    str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    tmpEle = document.createTextNode(str);
    ele.appendChild(tmpEle);

    The above works fine in FireFix 1.0.4 where I was unable to set the
    innerHTML. I suppose I will use the Microsoft's XML parser instead of
    the DOMParser to achive the same, but fortunately, ele.innerHTMl = str
    does it for IE 6.0.

    Again, thanks to all.

    D.K. Mishra

    DKM, Jun 17, 2005
  10. Danny

    HALLES Guest

    HELLO
    Why don't use a program using a compiler and writing files to do so ?

    Java Javascript Xml Html ......

    Where is the goo ole time of Turbo Pascal 6 and 7 ?
    I could even acces dBASE files in write append rewrite and so on, with
    Turbo Pascal ....

    Regards.

    HALLES
    HALLES, Jun 22, 2005
  11. Danny

    Zif Guest

    DKM wrote:

    [...]
    > Thank you to everyone. I have now figured a solution to the problem.
    > Instead of inserting the string as a textNode, what I am doing now is
    > parsing the string into a document and appending the documentElement of
    > the document as follows:
    >
    > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > doc = new DOMParser().parseFromString(str, "text/xml");
    > tmpEle = doc.DocumentElement;
    > ele.appendChild(tmpEle);
    >
    > earlier I was doing the following:
    >
    > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > tmpEle = document.createTextNode(str);
    > ele.appendChild(tmpEle);
    >
    > The above works fine in FireFix 1.0.4 where I was unable to set the
    > innerHTML. I suppose I will use the Microsoft's XML parser instead of
    > the DOMParser to achive the same, but fortunately, ele.innerHTMl = str

    ele.innerHTML
    ------------^

    > does it for IE 6.0.

    innerHTML works in Firefox (and most others) too - perhaps the typo was
    an issue?

    --
    Zif
    Zif, Jun 22, 2005
  12. Danny

    DKM Guest

    Zif wrote:
    > DKM wrote:
    > >

    > [...]
    > >
    > > Thank you to everyone. I have now figured a solution to the problem.
    > > Instead of inserting the string as a textNode, what I am doing now is
    > > parsing the string into a document and appending the documentElement of
    > > the document as follows:
    > >
    > > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > > doc = new DOMParser().parseFromString(str, "text/xml");
    > > tmpEle = doc.DocumentElement;
    > > ele.appendChild(tmpEle);
    > >
    > > earlier I was doing the following:
    > >
    > > str = "<b>Hello World!!!</b>";
    > > tmpEle = document.createTextNode(str);
    > > ele.appendChild(tmpEle);
    > >
    > > The above works fine in FireFix 1.0.4 where I was unable to set the
    > > innerHTML. I suppose I will use the Microsoft's XML parser instead of
    > > the DOMParser to achive the same, but fortunately, ele.innerHTMl = str

    > ele.innerHTML
    > ------------^

    That was a typo in my message. I was using innerHTML not innerHTMl.

    > > does it for IE 6.0.
    > >

    > innerHTML works in Firefox (and most others) too - perhaps the typo was
    > an issue?

    I know innerHTML works in FireFox, but only if you are doing something
    like ele.innerHTML = "Hello World!!!", butif you try ele.innerHTML =
    "<b>Hello World!!!</b>", it will not show "Hello World!!" in bold
    letters. It will display the string "<b>"Hello World!!!"</b>".

    Anyway, as I had posted in one of the earlier message, I had found a
    solution for this problem by using the DomParser object in FireFox.

    Thanks.

    D.K. Mishra

    DKM, Jun 23, 2005