Question about Custom HTTP Module, PNG Images, and aspnet_isapi.dll

toddmatson

I'm having trouble with a custom HTTP module and PNG files.

I configured my website so that PNG files are processed by
aspnet_isapi.dll. I have a custom HTTP module which intercepts
requests for some PNG files and renders them dynamically. On my
development server, this is working great. On my production server,
however, only the dynamic PNG files are rendered.

As an experiment, I reconfigured the production server so that PNG
files are no longer processed by aspnet_isapi.dll. As expected, normal
PNG files are now rendered properly, but dynamic PNG images are not.

This behavior suggests that on my production server, aspnet_isapi.dll
doesn't know how to process normal PNG files, but on my development
server, it does. My development server is running Windows XP Pro and
IIS 5.1, while my production server is running Windows 2003 Server and
IIS 6.0. The two machines have the exact same versions of NET
installed -- 2.0.50727.1433. I've gone through most of the settings in
IIS to make sure the sites are configured the same.

I'm baffled. Can anyone offer advice?

-TC

[...]

I still don't understand the problem, but I discovered that if I check
the option "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" on the
production server, it works. So, my problem is solved.

-TC