Question about delta?

Discussion in 'C++' started by b69316@gmail.com, Jan 30, 2007.

    I am a little confused on something.
    I am using DevC++.
    I am working on a project to make a "dinosaur walk across a map".
    I am not sure about the distance formula....i have no clue how to
    figure delta.
    I had it moving before I changed it to user input.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

    I have included all my code

    #include <iostream>
    #include <iomanip>
    #include <cmath>
    using namespace std;
    #include "windows.h"
    #include "location.h"
    #include "dinosaur.h"
    #include "map.h"

    int x = static_cast<int>(x);
    int y = static_cast<int>(y);

    int main()
    {
    int xx, yy, s;
    map M;
    location L1, L2;
    float D;
    int tempi=-1,tempj=10;
    dinosaur * bronto=new dinosaur(x, y);

    cout << "Please select a starting location for you dino:";
    cin >> x >> y;
    cout << endl;

    cout << "Please select a starting destination for you dino:";
    cin >> xx >> yy;
    cout << endl;

    cout << "Please select the speed you want the dino to move:";
    cin >> s;
    cout << endl;

    L1.setxy(x,y);
    L2.setxy(xx,yy);

    D=L2.distance_to(L1);
    cout<<D<<endl;

    cout<<endl;
    D=L1.distance_to(L2);
    cout<<D<<endl;

    M.adddino(bronto);
    int co = 0;
    float xn, yn;
    while(co < 20)
    {
    x=xn;
    y=yn;
    L1.setxy(x,y);
    L2.setxy(xx,yy);
    M.movedino(bronto,x,y);
    M.display();
    yn = y + (yy - y)/D);
    xn = x + ((xx - x))/D);
    Sleep(2000);
    system("cls");
    co++;
    }
    system("pause");
    return 0;

    ************
    class map
    {
    public:
    map();
    void display();
    void adddino(dinosaur * d);
    void movedino(dinosaur * d, int i, int j);
    private:
    location * M[10][10];

    };

    map::map()
    {
    for(int i=0;i<10; i++)
    for(int j=0; j<10; j++)
    {M[j]=new location;
    M[j]->setxy(i,j);

    void map::display()
    {cout<<endl<<endl<<endl;

    for(int i=0;i<10; i++)
    {cout<<setw(41)<<setfill('_');
    cout<<'\n';
    for(int j=0; j<10; j++)
    {M[j]->display();}
    cout<<"|"<<endl;
    }
    cout<<setw(41)<<setfill('_');
    cout<<'\n';
    cout<<endl<<endl;
    }

    void map::adddino(dinosaur * d)
    {
    int i, j;
    char t;
    i=d->getx();
    j=d->gety();
    t=d->gettype();
    M[j]->settype(t);

    }

    void map::movedino(dinosaur * d, int i, int j)
    { int iold, jold;
    char t;
    iold=d->getx();
    jold=d->gety();
    M[iold][jold]->settype(' ');
    t=d->gettype();
    d->setxy(i,j);
    M[j]->settype(t);
    *************************
    class dinosaur
    {
    public:
    dinosaur (int i, int j) {Curr.settype ('D');
    Curr.setxy (i,j);}
    void setxy(int i, int j){Curr.setxy(i,j);}
    char gettype(){Curr.gettype();}
    int getx () {Curr.getx();}
    int gety () {Curr.gety();}

    private:
    location Curr;
    };
    ****************************
    class location
    {
    public:
    location(){xx=0; yy=0;type=' ';}
    void setxy(int x, int y){xx=x; yy=y;}
    void settype (char t){type=t;}
    char gettype(){return type;}
    float distance_to(location l);
    double getx (){return xx;}
    double gety(){return yy;}
    void display();

    private:
    double xx, yy;
    char type;
    };

    void location::display()
    {
    cout<<"| "<<type<<" ";

    }

    float location::distance_to(location l)
    {
    float D;
    D=sqrt( pow(l.getx()-xx,2) + pow(l.gety()-yy,2) );

    return D;

    ********
    , Jan 30, 2007

  2. Grizlyk Guest

    wrote:
    > I am not sure about the distance formula....i have no clue how to
    > figure delta.

    What is your C++ question?

    --
    Maksim A Polyanin
    Grizlyk, Jan 31, 2007

    That was my question....this is for my C++ class that is why I was
    asking here....sorry
    , Jan 31, 2007
  4. On Jan 31, 2:50 pm, wrote:
    > That was my question....this is for my C++ class that is why I was
    > asking here....sorry

    1. Try to keep enough from the post you are replying to to keep
    context.

    2. You've got the wrong newsgroup for such questions, this one is for
    question about the C++ language, not it's applications (though where
    one ends and the other begins can sometimes be hard to tell). Take a
    look in the FAQ* for suggestions where to post your question. And when
    you do, you might want to consider to revise you question to better
    describe the problem, like what the delta you are looking for is.

    * http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jan 31, 2007