    a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    see how it appears ?

    Spiros Bousbouras, Mar 3, 2011

  2. In article <E_Bbp.200589$2>,
    Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    >I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    >missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    >chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    >a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    >text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    >see how it appears ?

    My 1994 edition has a complete page of Math.

    --bks

    Bradley K. Sherman, Mar 3, 2011

  3. On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 01:40:24 +0000 (UTC)
    (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:
    > In article <E_Bbp.200589$2>,
    > Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > >I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    > >missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    > >chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    > >a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    > >text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    > >see how it appears ?

    > My 1994 edition has a complete page of Math.

    Ok thanks , I will return the book.

    Spiros Bousbouras, Mar 3, 2011
  4. Spiros Bousbouras

    James Harris Guest

    On Mar 3, 1:17 am, Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    > missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    > chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    > a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    > text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    > see how it appears ?

    Mine is the same. The book is copyright 1994 Sun Microsystems, bought
    Nov 2003. Given that the purpose of the proof is to convince the
    reader of the impracticality of program proofs and he says not to
    study it you are maybe not missing anything important.

    The author appears to have a website at http://afu.com/ which includes
    what he considers to be important corrections to his books. My copy
    has at least some of those corrections. Maybe the page of maths
    appeared in the initial edition - so it's possible that you may be
    better off with the one you have.

    James

    James Harris, Mar 7, 2011
  5. On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0800 (PST)
    James Harris <> wrote:
    > On Mar 3, 1:17 am, Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > > I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    > > missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    > > chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    > > a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    > > text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    > > see how it appears ?

    > Mine is the same.

    So the text at the top of the page claims that the proof will follow
    but then you only get a blank page ? If that was a conscious decision
    then it's completely unprofessional. I can understand deciding to
    eliminate that part altogether but claiming that the book has stuff
    which actually isn't there is very poor.

    > The book is copyright 1994 Sun Microsystems, bought
    > Nov 2003. Given that the purpose of the proof is to convince the
    > reader of the impracticality of program proofs and he says not to
    > study it you are maybe not missing anything important.

    It's certainly not central to the book but given that its price ,
    taking into account the content , is already a bit too steep , I want
    to get the whole damn thing. Plus I'm curious.

    > The author appears to have a website at http://afu.com/ which includes
    > what he considers to be important corrections to his books.

    Thanks for that. Too bad the site doesn't seem to have any contact
    details for the author so I can't ask him what the situation is.

    > My copy
    > has at least some of those corrections. Maybe the page of maths
    > appeared in the initial edition - so it's possible that you may be
    > better off with the one you have.

    Too late now , I have already returned it to the seller.

    --
    - Some calisthenics programs are better than others.
    The emissary

    Spiros Bousbouras, Mar 7, 2011
  6. Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0800 (PST)

    > Thanks for that. Too bad the site doesn't seem to have any contact
    > details for the author so I can't ask him what the situation is.

    Whois afu.com yields:

    Registrant:
    Western Folklore Society
    185 West Portola Avenue
    Los Altos, California 94022
    United States

    Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: AFU.COM
    Created on: 23-Mar-95
    Expires on: 23-Mar-13
    Last Updated on: 11-Feb-11

    Administrative Contact:
    van der Linden, Peter
    NO ORG NAME
    185 West Portola Avenue
    Los Altos, California 94022
    United States
    +1 650 941 1069 Fax -- 999-999-9999

    Technical Contact:
    van der Linden, Peter
    NO ORG NAME
    185 West Portola Avenue
    Los Altos, California 94022
    United States
    +1 650 941 1069 Fax -- 999-999-9999

    Just ask him :)

    -rasp

    Ralph Spitzner, Mar 8, 2011
  7. Spiros Bousbouras

    David Librik Guest

    Spiros Bousbouras <> writes:

    >I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    >missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    >chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    >a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    >text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    >see how it appears ?

    My copy of this book also has the mostly- blank page.
    The older copy I checked out of the library has the proof.
    I ordered my copy new last year.
    So this is a printing error -- the publisher has screwed up.
    I don't think you're missing much, though!

    - David Librik

    David Librik, Mar 10, 2011
  8. Spiros Bousbouras

    James Harris Guest

    On Mar 7, 10:57 pm, Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0800 (PST)
    >
    > James Harris <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 3, 1:17 am, Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > > > I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
    > > > missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
    > > > chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
    > > > a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
    > > > text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
    > > > see how it appears ?

    > > Mine is the same.

    > So the text at the top of the page claims that the proof will follow
    > but then you only get a blank page ?

    Yes

    > If that was a conscious decision
    > then it's completely unprofessional. I can understand deciding to
    > eliminate that part altogether but claiming that the book has stuff
    > which actually isn't there is very poor.

    I suspect it's a rendering issue. Perhaps the printing for that page
    baulked on the symbols used in mathematical formulae. At any rate it's
    unlikely to be deliberate. There would be no point.

    James

    James Harris, Mar 24, 2011