Question about "Expert C programming"

Spiros Bousbouras

I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
see how it appears ?

Bradley K. Sherman

I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
see how it appears ?

My 1994 edition has a complete page of Math.

--bks

James Harris

I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
see how it appears ?

Mine is the same. The book is copyright 1994 Sun Microsystems, bought
Nov 2003. Given that the purpose of the proof is to convince the
reader of the impracticality of program proofs and he says not to
study it you are maybe not missing anything important.

The author appears to have a website at http://afu.com/ which includes
what he considers to be important corrections to his books. My copy
has at least some of those corrections. Maybe the page of maths
appeared in the initial edition - so it's possible that you may be
better off with the one you have.

James

Spiros Bousbouras

Mine is the same.

So the text at the top of the page claims that the proof will follow
but then you only get a blank page ? If that was a conscious decision
then it's completely unprofessional. I can understand deciding to
eliminate that part altogether but claiming that the book has stuff
which actually isn't there is very poor.
The book is copyright 1994 Sun Microsystems, bought
Nov 2003. Given that the purpose of the proof is to convince the
reader of the impracticality of program proofs and he says not to
study it you are maybe not missing anything important.

It's certainly not central to the book but given that its price ,
taking into account the content , is already a bit too steep , I want
to get the whole damn thing. Plus I'm curious.
The author appears to have a website at http://afu.com/ which includes
what he considers to be important corrections to his books.

Thanks for that. Too bad the site doesn't seem to have any contact
details for the author so I can't ask him what the situation is.
My copy
has at least some of those corrections. Maybe the page of maths
appeared in the initial edition - so it's possible that you may be
better off with the one you have.

Too late now , I have already returned it to the seller.

Ralph Spitzner

Thanks for that. Too bad the site doesn't seem to have any contact
details for the author so I can't ask him what the situation is.

Whois afu.com yields:

Registrant:
Western Folklore Society
185 West Portola Avenue
Los Altos, California 94022
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: AFU.COM
Created on: 23-Mar-95
Expires on: 23-Mar-13
Last Updated on: 11-Feb-11

Administrative Contact:
van der Linden, Peter (e-mail address removed)
NO ORG NAME
185 West Portola Avenue
Los Altos, California 94022
United States
+1 650 941 1069 Fax -- 999-999-9999

Technical Contact:
van der Linden, Peter (e-mail address removed)
NO ORG NAME
185 West Portola Avenue
Los Altos, California 94022
United States
+1 650 941 1069 Fax -- 999-999-9999

Just ask him :)

-rasp

David Librik

Spiros Bousbouras said:
I just got a copy of "Expert C programming" but I think it may be
missing some text and I want to make sure. On page 290 at the end of
chapter 10 there is "A single verification condition from the proof of
a Fast Fourier Transform program". Underneath this there are 3 lines of
text but the rest of the page is empty. Could you check your copies to
see how it appears ?

My copy of this book also has the mostly- blank page.
The older copy I checked out of the library has the proof.
I ordered my copy new last year.
So this is a printing error -- the publisher has screwed up.
I don't think you're missing much, though!

- David Librik
(e-mail address removed)

James Harris

So the text at the top of the page claims that the proof will follow
but then you only get a blank page ?
Yes

If that was a conscious decision
then it's completely unprofessional. I can understand deciding to
eliminate that part altogether but claiming that the book has stuff
which actually isn't there is very poor.

I suspect it's a rendering issue. Perhaps the printing for that page
baulked on the symbols used in mathematical formulae. At any rate it's
unlikely to be deliberate. There would be no point.

James