question about forms and spambots

Starscream

I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to hide
your email from spambots. However in the hidden line, the value for the
email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
from reading this?

What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
create the mailto from within it. In theory the spambots will only be able
to read *.swf and move on, since (I'm assuming) they cannot deconstruct the
movie to read the mailto tag from within. I'm not concered with outcasting
user who don't have flash (the site is 95 percent flash anyhow), but I am
concered about leaving my email out for the spambots to catch. And everyone
reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave me
wondering.

Thank

Hywel Jenkins

I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to hide
your email from spambots.

Hmm. FormMail sucks.

However in the hidden line, the value for the
email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
from reading this?
Nothing.

What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
create the mailto from within it.

What's "Flash"?

And everyone
reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave me
wondering.

Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
script.

Bryce

Hywel Jenkins said:
Hmm. FormMail sucks.

What's "Flash"?

Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
script.

well, that was pretty god damn useful!

Brett

This is how I like to do it. All the robot will see is <a
href="index.html?n=name&a=@&d=domain.com">. I don't think they are smart
enough to snag that. Just put the first five lines at the very top of your
page...and put the last four lines anywhere you want to display the "Contact
Us" link.

<?php
if (isset($n)) {
header("Location: mailto:$n$a$d");
}
?>

<?php
$n='news'; $a='@'; $d='provisiontech.net';
echo "<a href=\"index.html?n=$n&amp;a=$a&amp;d=$d\">Contact Us</a>";
?>

Kris

Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
script.
[/QUOTE]
well, that was pretty god damn useful!

Quick setup for a mailto form in PHP:

<?
// if form is submitted to itself
if($send) {

// check required fields
if($field1 && $field2 && $field3) {

// compose your e-mail here and have PHP send it.
// ...

$sent = 1;

} else $error = 1;
}
?>

"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<head>

<title>

</title>

</head>

<?
if($sent) {
// form sent
?>

<!-- insert your thankyous here -->

<?
} else {
// form not yet sent, or returned with errors
?>

<? if($error) echo "<strong>Wake up! Complete that form.</strong>"; ?>

<form ...>

<!-- your form here -->

<input type="hidden" name="send" value="1">
</form>

<?
}
?>

Kris

Kris said:
<title>

</title>

Duh..

<title>
<?
if($sent) echo "Thank you very muchos"; elseif($error) echo "Wake up,
buddy!"; else echo "Contact form";
?>
</title>

Daniel R. Tobias

Starscream said:
I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to hide
your email from spambots. However in the hidden line, the value for the
email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
from reading this?

Nothing... that's why the better solution would be to embed the address
entirely within the server-side script instead of in a form parameter.
What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
create the mailto from within it.

Gag, vomit... it's never a good idea to unnecessarily make site content
inaccessible by using Flash where it's not absolutely needed.

Hywel Jenkins

well, that was pretty god damn useful!

Indeed it was. Or were you being sarcastic? Do you not realise that
this group is not anyone's personal help-desk and they should really
make an effort to figure things out for themselves? How did you ever
learn?

Starscream

Nothing... that's why the better solution would be to embed the address
entirely within the server-side script instead of in a form parameter.

What Form program (script) would you recommend then?

Gag, vomit... it's never a good idea to unnecessarily make site content
inaccessible by using Flash where it's not absolutely needed.

What if the entire site is already in Flash?