    reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave me
    wondering.

    Thank

    Starscream, Oct 28, 2003

  2. In article <%YBnb.6377$>,
    says...
    > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to hide
    > your email from spambots.

    Hmm. FormMail sucks.

    > However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > from reading this?

    Nothing.

    > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > create the mailto from within it.

    What's "Flash"?

    > And everyone
    > reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave me
    > wondering.

    Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
    script.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Starscream

    Bryce Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <%YBnb.6377$>,
    > says...
    > > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to

    hide
    > > your email from spambots.

    > Hmm. FormMail sucks.
    >

    > > However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > > from reading this?

    > Nothing.
    >

    > > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > > create the mailto from within it.

    > What's "Flash"?
    >

    > > And everyone
    > > reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave

    me
    > > wondering.

    > Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
    > script.
    >
    > --
    > Hywel I do not eat quiche
    > http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    > http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

    well, that was pretty god damn useful!

    Bryce, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Starscream

    Brett Guest

    This is how I like to do it. All the robot will see is <a
    href="index.html?n=name&a=@&d=domain.com">. I don't think they are smart
    enough to snag that. Just put the first five lines at the very top of your
    page...and put the last four lines anywhere you want to display the "Contact
    Us" link.

    <?php
    if (isset($n)) {
    header("Location: mailto:$n$a$d");
    }
    ?>

    <?php
    $n='news'; $a='@'; $d='provisiontech.net';
    echo "<a href=\"index.html?n=$n&amp;a=$a&amp;d=$d\">Contact Us</a>";
    ?>

    --
    Brett
    Provision Tech

    "Starscream" <> wrote in message
    > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to

    hide
    > your email from spambots. However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > from reading this?
    >
    > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > create the mailto from within it. In theory the spambots will only be able
    > to read *.swf and move on, since (I'm assuming) they cannot deconstruct

    the
    > movie to read the mailto tag from within. I'm not concered with outcasting
    > user who don't have flash (the site is 95 percent flash anyhow), but I am
    > concered about leaving my email out for the spambots to catch. And

    everyone

    Brett, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Starscream

    Kris Guest

    In article <RmCnb.1014$>,
    "Bryce" <> wrote:

    > > Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
    > > script.

    > well, that was pretty god damn useful!

    Quick setup for a mailto form in PHP:

    <?
    // if form is submitted to itself
    if($send) {

    // check required fields
    if($field1 && $field2 && $field3) {

    // compose your e-mail here and have PHP send it.
    // ...

    $sent = 1;

    } else $error = 1;
    }
    ?>

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <head>

    <title>

    </title>

    </head>

    <?
    if($sent) {
    // form sent
    ?>

    <!-- insert your thankyous here -->

    <?
    } else {
    // form not yet sent, or returned with errors
    ?>

    <? if($error) echo "<strong>Wake up! Complete that form.</strong>"; ?>

    <form ...>

    <!-- your form here -->

    <input type="hidden" name="send" value="1">
    </form>

    <?
    }
    ?>

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Starscream

    Kris Guest

    In article <4all.nl>,
    Kris <> wrote:

    > <title>
    >
    > </title>

    Duh..

    <title>
    <?
    if($sent) echo "Thank you very muchos"; elseif($error) echo "Wake up,
    buddy!"; else echo "Contact form";
    ?>
    </title>

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Starscream wrote:

    > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to hide
    > your email from spambots. However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > from reading this?

    Nothing... that's why the better solution would be to embed the address
    entirely within the server-side script instead of in a form parameter.

    > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > create the mailto from within it.

    Gag, vomit... it's never a good idea to unnecessarily make site content
    inaccessible by using Flash where it's not absolutely needed.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 29, 2003
  8. In article <RmCnb.1014$>,
    says...

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <%YBnb.6377$>,
    > > says...
    > > > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to

    > hide
    > > > your email from spambots.

    > > Hmm. FormMail sucks.
    > >

    > > > However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > > > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > > > from reading this?

    > > Nothing.
    > >

    > > > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > > > create the mailto from within it.

    > > What's "Flash"?
    > >

    > > > And everyone
    > > > reccomends using Forms, however the value being exposed like that leave

    > me
    > > > wondering.

    > > Write your own form handler that has the address hard-coded within the
    > > script.

    > well, that was pretty god damn useful!

    Indeed it was. Or were you being sarcastic? Do you not realise that
    this group is not anyone's personal help-desk and they should really
    make an effort to figure things out for themselves? How did you ever
    learn?

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Starscream

    Starscream Guest

    > > I've been told that using forms (FormMail) is probably the best way to

    hide
    > > your email from spambots. However in the hidden line, the value for the
    > > email to which is being sent to is clear as day. What keeps the spambots
    > > from reading this?

    > Nothing... that's why the better solution would be to embed the address
    > entirely within the server-side script instead of in a form parameter.

    What Form program (script) would you recommend then?

    > > What about simply throwing the email into a Flash movie file that will
    > > create the mailto from within it.

    > Gag, vomit... it's never a good idea to unnecessarily make site content
    > inaccessible by using Flash where it's not absolutely needed.

    What if the entire site is already in Flash?

    Starscream, Oct 30, 2003