Question about forum engine code

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have signed up to a dotnet hosting account and I have a dotnet app
    called CommunityServer, which allows me to setup my own news
    forums. The path of one of my forums (the third one) is

    http://.../communityserver/forums/3/ShowForum.aspx

    I have looked in my ftp space, and although I was able to find
    ShowForum.aspx, I was not able to fing a subdirectory "/3" -
    this is my first question, i.e. were is it.

    The second question is, assuming I do find the correct ShowForum.aspx
    file, I would like to add to it some code of my own, however, when I
    looked at this file I couldn't understand one bit of code, and as far as
    I understand asp/x this is a very strange file, it goes like this:

    <%@ Page SmartNavigation="False" Language="C#" enableViewState = "false" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="CS" Namespace="CommunityServer.Controls"
    Assembly="CommunityServer.Controls" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="CSD"
    Namespace="CommunityServer.Discussions.Controls"
    Assembly="CommunityServer.Discussions" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="CommunityServer.Discussions.Components" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="CommunityServer.Components" %>

    <CS:MPContainer runat="server" id="MPContainer" ThemeMasterFile =
    "ForumMaster.ascx" >
    <CS:MPContent id="bcr" runat="server">
    <CSD:ThreadView runat="server" id="Threadview1" />
    </CS:MPContent>
    <CS:MPContent id="rcr" runat="server" >
    <h4 class="CommonSidebarHeader"><CS:ResourceLabel runat="server"
    ResourceName="Shortcuts" id="Resourcelabel7"/></h4>
    <CSD:ForumLinkBar runat="Server" ID="Forumlinkbar1"/>
    <h4 class="CommonSidebarHeader">
    <cs:ResourceControl ResourceName="PopularTags" runat="server" />
    </h4>
    <CS:TagCloud
    TagCloudCssClasses="CommonTag6,CommonTag5,CommonTag4,CommonTag3,CommonTag2,C
    ommonTag1" runat="server" id="TagCloud" MaximumNumberOfTags="25"
    ShowTagCounts="false" IgnoreFilterTags="true"
    CssClass="CommonSidebarTagCloud" />
    ResourceName="ViewAllTags" runat="server" ID="Resourcecontrol2"
    NAME="Resourcecontrol2"/></a>
    </CS:MPContent>
    </CS:MPContainer>

    Does anyone know what all these xml means, and how can I add, for
    example, a bit of code that just prints "hello world" to the screen.

    Tia.
    Guest, Aug 23, 2007

  2. In article <>, <Witthi> says...
    > I have signed up to a dotnet hosting account and I have a dotnet app
    > called CommunityServer, which allows me to setup my own news
    > forums. The path of one of my forums (the third one) is
    >
    > http://.../communityserver/forums/3/ShowForum.aspx
    >
    > I have looked in my ftp space, and although I was able to find
    > ShowForum.aspx, I was not able to fing a subdirectory "/3" -
    > this is my first question, i.e. were is it.
    >
    > The second question is, assuming I do find the correct ShowForum.aspx
    > file, I would like to add to it some code of my own, however, when I
    > looked at this file I couldn't understand one bit of code, and as far as
    > I understand asp/x this is a very strange file, it goes like this:

    Two things (and this is meant to be constructive):

    1. The "/3" is probably done via URL-rewriting. It's somewhat of an
    advanced ASP.NET technique.

    2. If you're just learning HTML/ASP.NET, I suggest you get an
    introductory book and start with smaller steps. Modifying Community
    Server is something to tackle once you're more of a mid-level/advanced
    developer.

    Again, just trying to help.

    --
    Patrick Steele ()