Question about forum engine code

Guest

I have signed up to a dotnet hosting account and I have a dotnet app
called CommunityServer, which allows me to setup my own news
forums. The path of one of my forums (the third one) is

http://.../communityserver/forums/3/ShowForum.aspx

I have looked in my ftp space, and although I was able to find
ShowForum.aspx, I was not able to fing a subdirectory "/3" -
this is my first question, i.e. were is it.

The second question is, assuming I do find the correct ShowForum.aspx
file, I would like to add to it some code of my own, however, when I
looked at this file I couldn't understand one bit of code, and as far as
I understand asp/x this is a very strange file, it goes like this:

<%@ Page SmartNavigation="False" Language="C#" enableViewState = "false" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="CS" Namespace="CommunityServer.Controls"
Assembly="CommunityServer.Controls" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="CSD"
Namespace="CommunityServer.Discussions.Controls"
Assembly="CommunityServer.Discussions" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="CommunityServer.Discussions.Components" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="CommunityServer.Components" %>

<CS:MPContainer runat="server" id="MPContainer" ThemeMasterFile =
"ForumMaster.ascx" >
<CS:MPContent id="bcr" runat="server">
<CSD:ThreadView runat="server" id="Threadview1" />
</CS:MPContent>
<CS:MPContent id="rcr" runat="server" >
<h4 class="CommonSidebarHeader"><CS:ResourceLabel runat="server"
ResourceName="Shortcuts" id="Resourcelabel7"/></h4>
<CSD:ForumLinkBar runat="Server" ID="Forumlinkbar1"/>
<h4 class="CommonSidebarHeader">
<cs:ResourceControl ResourceName="PopularTags" runat="server" />
</h4>
<CS:TagCloud
TagCloudCssClasses="CommonTag6,CommonTag5,CommonTag4,CommonTag3,CommonTag2,C
ommonTag1" runat="server" id="TagCloud" MaximumNumberOfTags="25"
ShowTagCounts="false" IgnoreFilterTags="true"
CssClass="CommonSidebarTagCloud" />
ResourceName="ViewAllTags" runat="server" ID="Resourcecontrol2"
NAME="Resourcecontrol2"/></a>
</CS:MPContent>
</CS:MPContainer>

Does anyone know what all these xml means, and how can I add, for
example, a bit of code that just prints "hello world" to the screen.

Tia.

Patrick Steele

I have signed up to a dotnet hosting account and I have a dotnet app
called CommunityServer, which allows me to setup my own news
forums. The path of one of my forums (the third one) is

http://.../communityserver/forums/3/ShowForum.aspx

I have looked in my ftp space, and although I was able to find
ShowForum.aspx, I was not able to fing a subdirectory "/3" -
this is my first question, i.e. were is it.

The second question is, assuming I do find the correct ShowForum.aspx
file, I would like to add to it some code of my own, however, when I
looked at this file I couldn't understand one bit of code, and as far as
I understand asp/x this is a very strange file, it goes like this:

Two things (and this is meant to be constructive):

1. The "/3" is probably done via URL-rewriting. It's somewhat of an
advanced ASP.NET technique.

2. If you're just learning HTML/ASP.NET, I suggest you get an
introductory book and start with smaller steps. Modifying Community
Server is something to tackle once you're more of a mid-level/advanced
developer.

Again, just trying to help.