Question about frames

Miss Jacky

Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

-Jackie.

rf

Miss said:
Hi.
G'day.

I am starting up a new web site and need some advice.

Fine. Don't use a WYSIWYDG editor and don't use frames :)
I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.

Don't.
Go over to google and search for "frames are evil".
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming.

Which will sit there forever taking up valuable real-estate?
The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

target="_top" in your home link?

Without a URL it is hard to tell.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Hi.
G'day.

I am starting up a new web site and need some advice.

No problem.
http://www.markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php

The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up

target="_top"

But not until you have read and understood the following:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")

Roy Schestowitz

Miss said:
Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

You could (/should) assign names your frames and then use the target
attribute in links, e.g. <a href="mypage.htm" target="body">. For the main
page you might want to try target="_top".

However, please _avoid_ frames. See the thread from 3:38 on November 15th.

Neal

Miss said:
The left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming.

For what reason does this need a frame? Can't it be put in the regular
content?

Sorry, but this isn't really a suitable reason to use a frame.

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Miss Jacky quothed:
Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.

Oh goody! Another framer! Don't expect a bunch of well-wishes and
kudos, etc., here because these guys (and broads) are prejudiced.
However, my motto is "Frames are your Friends".
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

Post a url and I'll fix it for you free of charge.

(PS: Css sucks.)

Richard

Miss said:
Hi. I am starting up a new web site and need some advice. I was
wondering if you guys could tell me how I would be able to have frames.
There's only two sections (25% and 75%)I already have the frames up. The
left side is a short note thanking the visitor for coming. The right
side has links to whatever I linked to. The problem I'm having is that
everytime I click 'home' to go back to index.html, an extra frame pops
up (the stuff that was previewed originally on the left). I was
wondering how I could fix this problem. Any help would be greatly
appreciated! Thanks.

Frames are out.....CSS is IN!
You can do more with CSS and not have the problems frames create.
You can create a multitude of "pages" that get shown as needed and all load
at the same time.

I'd forget that left side as a thank you thingy and put something more
useful in it like a good navigation bar.
In CSS, that would remain in place while the remainder changes as desired.

You learned html, now complement it with CSS.
I learned. You can too.

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Duende quothed:
While sitting in a puddle neredbojias scribbled in the mud:

Great, where do I stick it in?

If the w3c would have approached the problem from the correct angle in
the first place there would be no hole in which to insert anything.

Barbara de Zoete

Frames are out...

No, they are not. They are very useful in certain situations.
..CSS is IN!

It's not IN at all. It is just a very efficient way to create and maintain
presentation and layout for you pages if rendered in amodern graphical
browser.
You can do more with CSS

Can yuo substantiate that claim? Can you for instance, create a fixed top
and left column with valid HTML 4.01 strict, CSS2.1 and rendered in
standards compliant mode that works cross browser (including the ancient
browser IE6)?
and not have the problems frames create.

If frames are done properly, there are no problems. As always it is the
designer/developer of a site that has to apply the chosen technique
properly and with frames it is certainly more easy to do it wrong than
without frames, but that is no excuse.
You can create a multitude of "pages" that get shown as needed and all
load at the same time.

I am not sure what you are saying here? Why would anyone want a multitude
of "page" (what's with the quotes?) load at the same time?
I'd forget that left side as a thank you thingy and put something more
useful in it like a good navigation bar.
In CSS, that would remain in place while the remainder changes as
desired.

As it does with frames.

Don't get me wrond. I don't like frames any more than you do, but throwing
around unargumented claims is not likely going to convince anyone that
they should grow a dislike for them too (or atleast some healthy
suspicion).

rf

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

[frames argument]

You are new here, are you not? At least I have not seen your handle until a
few days ago, when we had our brief, er, discussion about advice for free
:)

You will find that the regulars here have a zero tolerance policy against
frames. Everything you say that you might think is good about frames can and
will be countered with the appropriate negative. That usually includes the
damned iframe element.

FWIW a brief history of frames (if you are not aware):

Frames were invented by Netcape sometime in the last century. Netscape
announced their invention with fanfare and with a brand new web site using
these "wonderfull new frames". A totally new site, they produced, redesigned
from the ground up with frames.

About six months later Netscape totally redesigned their web site yet again.
This time they Did Not Use Frames. They saw the enormous problems that
frames created and abandoned the concept. Netscape have never used frames on
their site again.

If the inventor of the dreaded frame abandonded it after only six monthes
(and that was six or ten years ago) then why would anybody these days use
frames? Dare I use the word "draconian" :)

Barbara de Zoete

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

[frames argument]

You are new here, are you not? At least I have not seen your handle
until a
few days ago, when we had our brief, er, discussion about advice for free
:)

Well, new as in active, yes. But I've lurked here for about a year and a
half (as in some of the ciwa* groups and in ahc); how do you think I
learned all I use for my site? :)
You will find that the regulars here have a zero tolerance policy against
frames.

That is not really a good reason to skip the subject all together, is it?
Everything you say that you might think is good about frames can and
will be countered with the appropriate negative.

So I have noticed.
That usually includes the damned iframe element.
^^^^^^

I guess you're with the 'frames are evil' croud then? :)
FWIW a brief history of frames (if you are not aware):

I am aware of its history, but thanks for reminding me.

This group is not about the www. It is about HTML. HTML gets used in a
wide range of situations. I've seen office applications, html-based, that
couldn't have been developed without frames. Good applications, well
designed in all aspects I could think of, userfriendly, to be used only in
a very specific and enclosed environment by trained people. I think there
are situations where utilisation of frames is not only a legit thing to
do, it is the best option to choose :-D :p

<em>This does exclude any publication for the <strong><abbr

But that is just an opinion and has a value equal to other argumented
opinions.

rf

Barbara said:
Well, new as in active, yes. But I've lurked here for about a year and a
half (as in some of the ciwa* groups and in ahc); how do you think I
learned all I use for my site? :)

How could you possibly lurk here for that long and not resist chirping in?
Bizarre :)
That is not really a good reason to skip the subject all together, is it?

Er, no. Er, yes. Er, what? Skip the subject? We are not skipping it. I am at
least vehemenantly arguing against it.
So I have noticed.

^^^^^^

I guess you're with the 'frames are evil' croud then? :)

Absolutely. Bloody bastards they are. Hate em. Same with the iframe
substitute of a vertically sized div with a scroll bar. Have you ever tried
to scroll such a page with your mouse wheel? Bloody annoying to say the
least :-(

If you have been lurking here then you surely know my stance on this. I
state it often enough.

What is wrong with a simple page that I can scroll my viewport up and down
upon. Why do authors insist on all sorts of Kewl things that *they* think
might be good for themselves, never thinking about how bloody hard they make
it for *me*, the viewer. Authors don't *use* a site. They write it. They
look at *bits* of it, to find the spelling errors. They never try to *use*
it because they know what is in it. They never try to read it from beginning
to end. I know, I fell into a similar trap once. I now stand back and read
word for word, aloud, every page I produce, as if I were a first time
viewer. This is alpha testing. Find the mistakes before it goes to beta or,
worse, to production.
I am aware of its history, but thanks for reminding me.

Just making sure. It pays to recount that history occasionally for the
newbies.
This group is not about the www.

Ah, yes, it is. There is an FAQ somewhere that says it is. All of the usenet
groups that have HTML or whatever in their name are about the web. Their
FAQ's state that as well.

Some of them specifically state that questions will be taken "in the context
of the web, unless stated otherwise". Surely you know that. How many times
have you seen a question blasted until the OP has bleated "it's for an
intranet", and then everybody says "you should have stated that up front,
you would have recieved entirely different answers"? I myself have typed
that phrase in many times during your year of lurking :)
is about HTML. HTML gets used in a
wide range of situations. I've seen office applications, html-based, that
couldn't have been developed without frames. Good applications, well
designed in all aspects I could think of, userfriendly, to be used only in
a very specific and enclosed environment by trained people. I think there
are situations where utilisation of frames is not only a legit thing to
do, it is the best option to choose :-D :p

Agreed. Indeed I have help systems written in HTML with frames that emulate
the windows help system. Contents on the left, content on the right but they
are *not* the web. They don't need to be bookmarked etc.

This stuff is not web.

If Miss Jacky had said "I am starting a new intranet help site" then your
argument would hold. She did not. She said "new web site". Frames have no
place on the web so, I suppose, all the above is OT :)
But that is just an opinion and has a value equal to other argumented
opinions.

Yep, and mine as well.

Crikey, it's time for another beer. See ya ;-)

Lauri Raittila

in said:
No, they are not. They are very useful in certain situations.

I have seen one, in 10 years I have been aware of HTML. Surprisingly it
was this year. I don't remember the purpose though...

(of course, thre was few years in start whitout frames...)
It's not IN at all. It is just a very efficient way to create and maintain
presentation and layout for you pages if rendered in amodern graphical
browser.
And

Can yuo substantiate that claim?
Easily

Can you for instance, create a fixed top
and left column with valid HTML 4.01 strict, CSS2.1 and rendered in
standards compliant mode that works cross browser (including the ancient
browser IE6)?

Yes. But I have to cheat and use IE bugs...

But I just hate fixed top and left columns, so I have not done that.
If frames are done properly, there are no problems.

There is. Search engines. Hard to say wich others, as you don't define
proper way.
Don't get me wrond. I don't like frames any more than you do, but throwing
around unargumented claims is not likely going to convince anyone that
they should grow a dislike for them too (or atleast some healthy
suspicion).

Only problem in his post was that he didn't include some nice frames are
evil links. If he had, you would have needed to back up yourt claim, and
for example show us one site that uses frames properly.

Spartanicus

rf said:
You will find that the regulars here have a zero tolerance policy against
frames.

Anyone posing as the group's spokesman is most inappropriate imo.

jake

rf said:
Barbara de Zoete wrote:

[frames argument]
[snip]

You will find that the regulars here have a zero tolerance policy against
frames. [snip]
............. I don't think so ............

regards.

jake

Lauri said:
in alt.html, Barbara de Zoete wrote: [snip]
Don't get me wrond. I don't like frames any more than you do, but throwing
around unargumented claims is not likely going to convince anyone that
they should grow a dislike for them too (or atleast some healthy
suspicion).

Only problem in his post was that he didn't include some nice frames are
evil links. If he had, you would have needed to back up yourt claim, and
for example show us one site that uses frames properly.
Visit the MSDN site if you want to see a reasonably good use of frames.

regards.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
You will find that the regulars here have a zero tolerance policy against
frames

Frames are your friends. ;-)

Barbara de Zoete

Duende countered:

Should have said "many of the regulars" shouldn't I :-(

Maybe. Or maybe just speak for yourself. That is what I try to do. I find
it hard to give any credit to the argument 'it's not just me!' :)