    signs I input.

    Thanks
    Ning
    NeoGeoSNK, Mar 11, 2008

  2. On Mar 11, 12:35 pm, NeoGeoSNK <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
    > these signs means?

    Since you have made relevant posts to this group
    previously, and had no luck searching based on
    '>' - I will forgive that this post is off-topic
    for a Java technical group.

    It is, on the other hand, relevant to both usenet
    and replying.

    Next time you are going to reply to a thread,
    look carefully at the earlier text shown in the
    message area - here is a good example of one
    of your own replies..
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/
    972b80f5f82bbe2d>

    Note the ealier replies all are indented with
    one or more '>'.

    The 'last reply' will be indented with every
    line of the previous message starting with '>'.

    Two '>>' means the text has been replied to
    (or 'quoted by people') twice.

    '>' is not the only character used to indent
    quoted text, but it is the most common.

    >.. Is there some manual I can learn from the web?

    W3C is the authority that issues recommendations
    re the WWW, but both usenet (you're looking at it)
    and email predate the World Wide Web.

    Note also that Google Groups is just one
    (relatively poor) interface to access usenet.
    Google might mistakenly think it invented
    usenet, but that is just not the case.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 11, 2008

  3. NeoGeoSNK

    Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Note the ealier replies all are indented with
    > one or more '>'.
    >
    > The 'last reply' will be indented with every
    > line of the previous message starting with '>'.
    >
    > Two '>>' means the text has been replied to
    > (or 'quoted by people') twice.
    >
    > '>' is not the only character used to indent
    > quoted text, but it is the most common.

    Many newsreaders are optimized to present quoted text, that is, text prefaced
    with one or more '>' characters and a blank, in special fonts.

    For example, Thunderbird presents all the text I quoted from Andrew's post in
    blue while I'm composing a post, and as long paragraphs set off by colored
    margin bars once posted. (One colored bar for each '>' level of quote.)

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Mar 11, 2008
  4. NeoGeoSNK

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Mar 11, 2008
  5. NeoGeoSNK

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    NeoGeoSNK wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
    > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
    > ">"
    > ">>"
    > ">>>"
    > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
    > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
    > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
    > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.
    >
    > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
    > signs I input.

    On Replies and Forwards in Outlook 2003
    <http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/generalEmailOptions/emailOptions.cwd>

    or

    Change the look of forwarded and replied to messages
    <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052431761033.aspx>
    Jeff Higgins, Mar 11, 2008
  6. NeoGeoSNK wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
    > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
    > ">"
    > ">>"
    > ">>>"
    > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
    > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
    > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
    > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.
    >
    > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
    > signs I input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ning

    Oh man. First of all, this is *Usenet*, as replicated by Google for
    their own gain <g>.

    Read some articles here: <http://www.neallandfield.com/usenet/>

    The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
    text is being quoted from someone.
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Mar 11, 2008
  7. On Mar 11, 10:22 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <>
    wrote:
    > The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
    > text is being quoted from someone.

    LOL! Quote from the OP's 'Google profile'.

    "Quote: what does "Quote" mean? "

    I tried to introduce the concept 'subtly' in
    my first post ( though Aussies have often been
    accused of considering a sledgehammer 'subtle' ;)

    And to the OP - please do not send an email
    'thank you' to every person that replies.
    Look at *my* Google profile (hint, hint)
    for tips on this matter.

    And a healthy ';-)' to all responders..

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Mar 11, 2008
  8. NeoGeoSNK

    NeoGeoSNK Guest

    On Mar 11, 1:18 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:35:09 -0700 (PDT), NeoGeoSNK <>
    >
    > >US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
    > >know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

    > seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html#ATTRIBUTIONS
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    Thanks, I added this link to my bookmark!
    NeoGeoSNK, Mar 12, 2008
  9. NeoGeoSNK

    NeoGeoSNK Guest

    On Mar 11, 2:18 pm, "Jeff Higgins" <> wrote:
    > NeoGeoSNK wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
    > > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
    > > ">"
    > > ">>"
    > > ">>>"
    > > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
    > > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
    > > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
    > > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

    > > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
    > > signs I input.

    > On Replies and Forwards in Outlook 2003
    > <http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/generalEmailOp...>
    >
    > or
    >
    > Change the look of forwarded and replied to messages
    > <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052431761033.aspx>

    Thanks Jeff, My outlook can reply with prefix ">" now :)
    NeoGeoSNK, Mar 12, 2008
  10. NeoGeoSNK

    NeoGeoSNK Guest

    On Mar 11, 7:22 pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <>
    wrote:
    > NeoGeoSNK wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
    > > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
    > > ">"
    > > ">>"
    > > ">>>"
    > > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
    > > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
    > > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
    > > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

    > > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
    > > signs I input.

    > > Thanks
    > > Ning

    > Oh man. First of all, this is *Usenet*, as replicated by Google for
    > their own gain <g>.
    >
    > Read some articles here: <http://www.neallandfield.com/usenet/>
    >
    > The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
    > text is being quoted from someone.
    > --
    > Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    >
    > Op3racionalwww.op3racional.eu- Hide quoted text -