question about how server access works

John Salerno

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could answer this question for me.
Let's say there is a directory structure such as this:

http://www.company.com/dir1/dir2/dir3/

And 'dir3' changes depending on which department you want to access.
If you want the website for marketing, you'd type 'marketing' as your
final directory in the URL.

Anyway, what I'm wondering about is, is it possible to give someone
access to just that directory on the server for the purpose of
uploading html files (and general website maintenance)? If I work in
marketing, for example, (this is a made-up example, btw) and want to
be given access to just that folder, is this something an
administrator can do?

To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:

http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

Forgive my possible naivety when it comes to how companies are
strucutre, but just assume that the Finance department includes
Advertising, which includes Marketing. Can I have access to the
marketing directory on the server without also having access to
advertising or finance, or anything else on company.com?

Thanks.

Stuart Miller

John Salerno said:
[...]

Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of different
ways to achieve it.
This questions is probably more suited to how your server is configured
thanto the actual html of it. You may get more information by posting in
alt.apache.configuration.

One easy way is to have 'userdir' setup, where a department can ftp into
/home/marketing/public_html to set up the info. This is normal user password
protection. Then a set up link from the home page of www.company.com to
www.company.com/~marketing, with some form of authenication such as
..htaccess for 'public' visitors.
If you have a geocities web page, this is how they do it.

I woul not have the separate department directories 'nested' like that, I
would have them in parallel
corporate
- marketing
-advertising
-sales management
- finance
-treasury
-accoutning

There are secuirty issues here, and there are more secure ways to do this,
but this is the basic concept.

Stuart

John Salerno

Stuart said:
Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of different
ways to achieve it.

Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am
responsible for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it
comes to uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he
can do it. I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to
give me access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department
hierarchy in between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

Stuart Miller

John Salerno said:
Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am responsible
for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it comes to
uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he can do it.
I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to give me
access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department hierarchy in
between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

Excuse the 'windoze' references here, but if they are running IIS then he
may be correct. If they are smart enough to run linux, then there are ways
to do it.

Stuart

Harlan Messinger

John said:
Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am
responsible for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it
comes to uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he
can do it. I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to
give me access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department
hierarchy in between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

In Windows, at least, it isn't true. You can give a user write
permission on one directory without giving write permission on parent
directories.

ato_zee

I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to

You can set access rights on Unix systems to just the one
folder. Otherwise ISP's would have the problem of everyone
being able to access other users webspace.
Access is set for Administrator, Owner, or Eveyone and can be
set to read only, read/write or execute.
Company polics may be more restrictive.
Or somebody may be making up the rules as they go.

John Salerno

Beauregard said:
Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John said:
No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

They do have four nameservers listed. Perhaps they have it offline for
some reason.

Blinky the Shark

John said:
No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

So what? That only means it doesn't have a web site. The Web is not
the Internet.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
They do have four nameservers listed. Perhaps they have it offline for
some reason.

I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
form for him to use their domain name.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Blinky said:
I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
form for him to use their domain name.

So eloquent ... for a shark. :)

dorayme

John Salerno said:
No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

That's funny. It worked for me. If something works for me, it
should work for everyone. I won't explain.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
I love shark. I'd never heard of "flake", but I've certainly known
plenty of fish - and humans - that were flakes.

Like me really, an insubstantial being, prone to forgetfulness,
bumbleheadedness, shallowness, mistakes left right and centre,
sort of empty barrel making big noises. I know what you mean from
personal experience. I like flake fried in a touch of garlic on a
bed of rice (not just any rice). Dum de dumbedy dum as I trip
along light-headed into yet another silly day... think I might
buy some blinkey or dorayme - oops... I mean flake - today for
dinner...