question about how server access works

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Salerno, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could answer this question for me.
    Let's say there is a directory structure such as this:

    http://www.company.com/dir1/dir2/dir3/

    And 'dir3' changes depending on which department you want to access.
    If you want the website for marketing, you'd type 'marketing' as your
    final directory in the URL.

    Anyway, what I'm wondering about is, is it possible to give someone
    access to just that directory on the server for the purpose of
    uploading html files (and general website maintenance)? If I work in
    marketing, for example, (this is a made-up example, btw) and want to
    be given access to just that folder, is this something an
    administrator can do?

    To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:

    http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    Forgive my possible naivety when it comes to how companies are
    strucutre, but just assume that the Finance department includes
    Advertising, which includes Marketing. Can I have access to the
    marketing directory on the server without also having access to
    advertising or finance, or anything else on company.com?

    Thanks.

    John Salerno, Nov 6, 2006

  2. "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could answer this question for me.
    > Let's say there is a directory structure such as this:
    >
    > http://www.company.com/dir1/dir2/dir3/
    >
    > And 'dir3' changes depending on which department you want to access.
    > If you want the website for marketing, you'd type 'marketing' as your
    > final directory in the URL.
    >
    > Anyway, what I'm wondering about is, is it possible to give someone
    > access to just that directory on the server for the purpose of
    > uploading html files (and general website maintenance)? If I work in
    > marketing, for example, (this is a made-up example, btw) and want to
    > be given access to just that folder, is this something an
    > administrator can do?
    >
    > To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    >
    > http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing
    >
    > Forgive my possible naivety when it comes to how companies are
    > strucutre, but just assume that the Finance department includes
    > Advertising, which includes Marketing. Can I have access to the
    > marketing directory on the server without also having access to
    > advertising or finance, or anything else on company.com?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of different
    ways to achieve it.
    This questions is probably more suited to how your server is configured
    thanto the actual html of it. You may get more information by posting in
    alt.apache.configuration.

    One easy way is to have 'userdir' setup, where a department can ftp into
    /home/marketing/public_html to set up the info. This is normal user password
    protection. Then a set up link from the home page of www.company.com to
    www.company.com/~marketing, with some form of authenication such as
    ..htaccess for 'public' visitors.
    If you have a geocities web page, this is how they do it.

    I woul not have the separate department directories 'nested' like that, I
    would have them in parallel
    corporate
    - marketing
    -advertising
    -sales management
    - finance
    -treasury
    -accoutning

    There are secuirty issues here, and there are more secure ways to do this,
    but this is the basic concept.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Nov 6, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Stuart Miller wrote:

    > Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of different
    > ways to achieve it.

    Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am
    responsible for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it
    comes to uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he
    can do it. I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to
    give me access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department
    hierarchy in between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

    John Salerno, Nov 6, 2006
  4. "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    > Stuart Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of different
    >> ways to achieve it.

    > Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am responsible
    > for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it comes to
    > uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he can do it.
    > I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to give me
    > access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department hierarchy in
    > between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

    Excuse the 'windoze' references here, but if they are running IIS then he
    may be correct. If they are smart enough to run linux, then there are ways
    to do it.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Nov 6, 2006
  5. John Salerno wrote:

    > To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    >
    > http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    If not, please use the accepted standard for example URLs, which is:

    http://example.com/ .net/, .org/ The domains example.com/net/org are
    reserved for this purpose.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 6, 2006
  6. John Salerno wrote:
    > Stuart Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Certainly what you want is possible, and there are a number of
    >> different ways to achieve it.

    > Thanks for the response. My point in asking is just that I am
    > responsible for updating the website of this particular lab, yet when it
    > comes to uploading the files I have to send them to our IT person so he
    > can do it. I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to
    > give me access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department
    > hierarchy in between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

    In Windows, at least, it isn't true. You can give a user write
    permission on one directory without giving write permission on parent
    directories.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 7, 2006
  7. John Salerno

    Guest

    On 7-Nov-2006, Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > I tried to get access myself, but they said there's no way to
    > > give me access to *just* our folder, and not the whole department
    > > hierarchy in between, which of course I found very hard to believe.

    You can set access rights on Unix systems to just the one
    folder. Otherwise ISP's would have the problem of everyone
    being able to access other users webspace.
    Access is set for Administrator, Owner, or Eveyone and can be
    set to read only, read/write or execute.
    Company polics may be more restrictive.
    Or somebody may be making up the rules as they go.

    , Nov 7, 2006
  8. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    >>
    >> http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    > Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

    John Salerno, Nov 7, 2006
  9. John Salerno wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> John Salerno wrote:
    >>
    >>> To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    >> Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    > No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

    They do have four nameservers listed. Perhaps they have it offline for
    some reason.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 7, 2006
  10. John Salerno wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> John Salerno wrote:
    >>
    >>> To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    >> Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    > No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

    So what? That only means it doesn't have a web site. The Web is not
    the Internet.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2006
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    >> No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

    > They do have four nameservers listed. Perhaps they have it offline for
    > some reason.

    I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
    irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
    form for him to use their domain name.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 7, 2006
  12. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
    > irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
    > form for him to use their domain name.

    So eloquent ... for a shark. :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 7, 2006
  13. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4550db23$0$26446$>,
    John Salerno <> wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > John Salerno wrote:
    > >
    > >> To be a little more specific, let's use this made-up URL:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.company.com/finance/advertising/marketing

    > > Are you associated with Company.com Inc of Bethesda, Maryland?

    > No, but I tried going to company.com just now and it didn't work.

    That's funny. It worked for me. If something works for me, it
    should work for everyone. I won't explain.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 8, 2006
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
    >> irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
    >> form for him to use their domain name.

    > So eloquent ... for a shark. :)

    And I can cook, too. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 8, 2006
  15. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'd say the bigger point is that the web isn't the internet. It's
    > >> irrelevant whether they have or don't have a web site; it's still bad
    > >> form for him to use their domain name.

    > > So eloquent ... for a shark. :)

    > And I can cook, too. :)

    Grilled flake anyone?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 8, 2006
  16. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> > So eloquent ... for a shark. :)

    >> And I can cook, too. :)

    > Grilled flake anyone?

    How about some swordfish?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 8, 2006
  17. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > >> And I can cook, too. :)

    > > Grilled flake anyone?

    > How about some swordfish?

    But not quite the same cannibalistic aura to the cooking, surely?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_(fish)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 8, 2006
  18. dorayme wrote:

    >> > Grilled flake anyone?

    >> How about some swordfish?

    > But not quite the same cannibalistic aura to the cooking, surely?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_(fish)

    I love shark. I'd never heard of "flake", but I've certainly known
    plenty of fish - and humans - that were flakes.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 8, 2006
  19. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > >> How about some swordfish?

    > > But not quite the same cannibalistic aura to the cooking, surely?
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flake_(fish)

    > I love shark. I'd never heard of "flake", but I've certainly known
    > plenty of fish - and humans - that were flakes.

    Like me really, an insubstantial being, prone to forgetfulness,
    bumbleheadedness, shallowness, mistakes left right and centre,
    sort of empty barrel making big noises. I know what you mean from
    personal experience. I like flake fried in a touch of garlic on a
    bed of rice (not just any rice). Dum de dumbedy dum as I trip
    along light-headed into yet another silly day... think I might
    buy some blinkey or dorayme - oops... I mean flake - today for
    dinner...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 8, 2006