    password are to access http://localhost? Suggestions are greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Adam Sandler, Jun 22, 2008

  2. On Jun 21, 10:32 pm, Adam Sandler <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have JBoss 4.2.2.GA running.  When I open a browser and use this
    > URL,http://localhost:8080, I can see the administration console
    > successfully.
    >
    > However, if I leave the port off the address and use this URL,http://localhost, I get a prompt to enter password and username.  I
    > have no idea what the credentials are.  I've looked athttp://docs.jboss..org/jbossas/getting_started/v4/html/install.htmland
    > \server\all\conf\login-config.xml and neither resource lists what
    > username and password to use.
    >
    > Does anyone know, on a fresh install of JBoss, what the username and
    > password are to accesshttp://localhost? Suggestions are greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    A stock JBoss distribution does not attempt to bind to port 80. Since
    portless HTTP URLs refer to port 80, odds are good that the auth
    dialog is being provoked by another server entirely -- do you have
    apache set up to proxy requests to JBoss? If so, have you checked its
    auth config?

    -o
    Owen Jacobson, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Adam Sandler

    Adam Sandler Guest

    On Jun 22, 2:38 am, Owen Jacobson <> wrote:
    > do you have
    > apache set up to proxy requests to JBoss? If so, have you checked its
    > auth config?

    Not explicitly I don't... but doesn't the JBoss install come with
    elements of apache? If so, thats where the requests are being
    handled. If not, I have no idea what is proxying the requests as I
    haven't loaded any other servers on the box.

    I found this link http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html but
    it's written for UNIX. Unfortunately, I'm running on a Windows box
    for these questions. Does using htpasswd still work with Windows or
    is there a properties file somewhere where apache stores account
    information?

    Thanks!
    Adam Sandler, Jun 25, 2008
  4. On Jun 25, 11:03 am, Adam Sandler <> wrote:
    > On Jun 22, 2:38 am, Owen Jacobson <> wrote:
    >
    > > do you have
    > > apache set up to proxy requests to JBoss?  If so, have you checked its
    > > auth config?

    > Not explicitly I don't... but doesn't the JBoss install come with
    > elements of apache?  If so, thats where the requests are being
    > handled.  If not, I have no idea what is proxying the requests as I
    > haven't loaded any other servers on the box.

    JBoss includes Apache Tomcat (not Apache HTTPD) as its servlet
    container. Apache Tomcat is not configured to listen on port 80 by
    default, either, only on 8080 and a handful of other ports in the same
    area.

    You'll probably want to find a tool that can tell you what
    applications have what ports open and use it to identify what program
    is actually listening on port 80. If it really is JBoss, you should
    be able to find the passwords in <server name>/conf/props/ somewhere
    -- that's where JBoss keeps the properties files for its default auth
    configurations.

    > I found this linkhttp://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.htmlbut
    > it's written for UNIX.  Unfortunately, I'm running on a Windows box
    > for these questions.  Does using htpasswd still work with Windows or
    > is there a properties file somewhere where apache stores account
    > information?

    Apache HTTPD's mod_authz_basic module uses the same format for storing
    passwords regardless of platform.
    Owen Jacobson, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Adam Sandler

    Adam Sandler Guest

    On Jun 25, 10:14 am, Owen Jacobson <> wrote:

    > You'll probably want to find a tool that can tell you what
    > applications have what ports open and use it to identify what program
    > is actually listening on port 80.

    I have Active Ports on my machine and I see that inetinfo.exe is
    listening to port 80. So it looks like I'll have to look at the
    authentication for IIS.

    Thanks for all your assistance -- much appreciated!!!
    Adam Sandler, Jun 26, 2008