Question about JBoss default password

Adam Sandler

Hello,

I have JBoss 4.2.2.GA running. When I open a browser and use this
URL, http://localhost:8080, I can see the administration console
successfully.

However, if I leave the port off the address and use this URL,
http://localhost, I get a prompt to enter password and username. I
have no idea what the credentials are. I've looked at
http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/getting_started/v4/html/install.html and
\server\all\conf\login-config.xml and neither resource lists what
username and password to use.

Does anyone know, on a fresh install of JBoss, what the username and
password are to access http://localhost? Suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Owen Jacobson

Hello,

I have JBoss 4.2.2.GA running.  When I open a browser and use this
URL,http://localhost:8080, I can see the administration console
successfully.

However, if I leave the port off the address and use this URL,http://localhost, I get a prompt to enter password and username.  I
have no idea what the credentials are.  I've looked athttp://docs.jboss..org/jbossas/getting_started/v4/html/install.htmland
\server\all\conf\login-config.xml and neither resource lists what
username and password to use.

Does anyone know, on a fresh install of JBoss, what the username and
password are to accesshttp://localhost? Suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

A stock JBoss distribution does not attempt to bind to port 80. Since
portless HTTP URLs refer to port 80, odds are good that the auth
dialog is being provoked by another server entirely -- do you have
apache set up to proxy requests to JBoss? If so, have you checked its
auth config?

-o

Adam Sandler

do you have
apache set up to proxy requests to JBoss? If so, have you checked its
auth config?

Not explicitly I don't... but doesn't the JBoss install come with
elements of apache? If so, thats where the requests are being
handled. If not, I have no idea what is proxying the requests as I
haven't loaded any other servers on the box.

I found this link http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html but
it's written for UNIX. Unfortunately, I'm running on a Windows box
for these questions. Does using htpasswd still work with Windows or
is there a properties file somewhere where apache stores account
information?

Thanks!

Owen Jacobson

Not explicitly I don't... but doesn't the JBoss install come with
elements of apache?  If so, thats where the requests are being
handled.  If not, I have no idea what is proxying the requests as I
haven't loaded any other servers on the box.

JBoss includes Apache Tomcat (not Apache HTTPD) as its servlet
container. Apache Tomcat is not configured to listen on port 80 by
default, either, only on 8080 and a handful of other ports in the same
area.

You'll probably want to find a tool that can tell you what
applications have what ports open and use it to identify what program
is actually listening on port 80. If it really is JBoss, you should
be able to find the passwords in <server name>/conf/props/ somewhere
-- that's where JBoss keeps the properties files for its default auth
configurations.
I found this linkhttp://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.htmlbut
it's written for UNIX.  Unfortunately, I'm running on a Windows box
for these questions.  Does using htpasswd still work with Windows or
is there a properties file somewhere where apache stores account
information?

Apache HTTPD's mod_authz_basic module uses the same format for storing
passwords regardless of platform.

Adam Sandler

You'll probably want to find a tool that can tell you what
applications have what ports open and use it to identify what program
is actually listening on port 80.

I have Active Ports on my machine and I see that inetinfo.exe is
listening to port 80. So it looks like I'll have to look at the
authentication for IIS.

Thanks for all your assistance -- much appreciated!!!