Question about JMX and Jconsole

olegn51

Hi everyone, I am new to JMX and RMI and I am going over sun’s JMX
tutorial (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jmx/tutorial).

I am puzzled by something. The basic example in the tutorial creates
an RMI connector server using the URL service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://
localhost:9999/server. I’m able to connect jconsole to this, but
normal jvm tabs like Overview, Memory, etc.. are disabled.

My guess is that jvm is using an RMI connector at a different URL, but
I am not sure. It would be nice to have the exposed mbeans together
with the jvm controls on same jconsole. How can I do that? Again, I
can only assume that I must find way to get URL in use by jvm and
perhaps use it for registering my mbeans?

I’d be greatful for any help on this.

Alex.From.Ohio.Java

Hi everyone, I am new to JMX and RMI and I am going over sun’s JMX
tutorial (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jmx/tutorial).

I am puzzled by something. The basic example in the tutorial creates
an RMI connector server using the URL service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://
localhost:9999/server. I’m able to connect jconsole to this, but
normal jvm tabs like Overview, Memory, etc.. are disabled.

My guess is that jvm is using an RMI connector at a different URL, but
I am not sure. It would be nice to have the exposed mbeans together
with the jvm controls on same jconsole. How can I do that? Again, I
can only assume that I must find way to get URL in use by jvm and
perhaps use it for registering my mbeans?

I’d be greatful for any help on this.

So, what can you see?

I had some troubles with JMX too.
Make sure you have environment variable TMP and it has value of valid
accessible directory without spaces in the name. Something like C:\tmp
or /tmp.

Alex.
http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/

Robert M. Gary

Hi everyone, I am new to JMX and RMI and I am going over sun’s JMX
tutorial (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jmx/tutorial).

I am puzzled by something. The basic example in the tutorial creates
an RMI connector server using the URL service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://
localhost:9999/server. I’m able to connect jconsole to this, but
normal jvm tabs like Overview, Memory, etc.. are disabled.

My guess is that jvm is using an RMI connector at a different URL, but
I am not sure. It would be nice to have the exposed mbeans together
with the jvm controls on same jconsole. How can I do that? Again, I
can only assume that I must find way to get URL in use by jvm and
perhaps use it for registering my mbeans?

I’d be greatful for any help on this.

What version of the JDK do you have? In 1.5 the set up was different,
its more automatic in 1.6. I was just at Sun's booth about an hour ago
and they mentioned that jConsole is going away in favor of "Visual
VM". They didn't have a flyer so I might be misremembering the name.
They say it also comes in the JDK (1.6 and beyond). It has all the
same stuff as jConsole but adds a few more things. For basic info it
avoids creating a JMX connection, using a lower level connection
instead (don't remember the name). Also, it allows you to save the
output (yea!) so your customer can send you the output.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary

On May 8, 2:37 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
What version of the JDK do you have? In 1.5 the set up was different,
its more automatic in 1.6. I was just at Sun's booth about an hour ago
and they mentioned that jConsole is going away in favor of "Visual
VM". They didn't have a flyer so I might be misremembering the name.
They say it also comes in the JDK (1.6 and beyond). It has all the
same stuff as jConsole but adds a few more things. For basic info it
avoids creating a JMX connection, using a lower level connection
instead (don't remember the name). Also, it allows you to save the
output (yea!) so your ustomer can send you the output.

BTW: You might have noticed that they demoed VisualVM (JConsole's
replacement) at the opening General Session this morning. Gosling
seemed impressed. ;)

-Robert