    in the way Ruby does work comparing with C++. So what is a good way to
    start thinking in Ruby way? Can anyone share me some experiences? Great
    thanks in advance ;) !

    Chan Nguyen, Aug 14, 2010

  2. On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Chan Nguyen <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
    > love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
    > library like C++?

    http://ruby-doc.org/core/

    contains the core classes.

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib

    contains the standard library.

    > And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
    > stack, deque... ).

    The basic containers are arrays and hashes. An array can be used as a
    stack or queue, and a hash is a map or dictionary.

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Aug 14, 2010

  3. On 14.08.2010 10:34, Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Chan Nguyen<> wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
    >> love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
    >> library like C++?

    > http://ruby-doc.org/core/
    >
    > contains the core classes.
    >
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
    >
    > contains the standard library.
    >
    >> And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
    >> stack, deque... ).

    > The basic containers are arrays and hashes. An array can be used as a
    > stack or queue, and a hash is a map or dictionary.

    Array can of course also be used as list, i.e. maintaining a custom
    order and with O(1) element access.

    And then there is Set for efficient set operations.

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Aug 14, 2010
  4. Chan Nguyen

    Josh Cheek Guest

    2010/8/14 Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n <>

    > On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Chan Nguyen <>
    > wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,
    > > I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
    > > love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
    > > library like C++?

    > http://ruby-doc.org/core/
    >
    > contains the core classes.
    >
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
    >
    > contains the standard library.

    Be aware that this is 1.8.6 docs.

    Josh Cheek, Aug 14, 2010
  5. On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 02:03, Chan Nguyen <> wrote:
    > I wonder is there any website to look up standard library like C++?

    If you are considering a book, Programming Ruby, known as the pickaxe,
    has a complete reference for core classes and the standard library.
    Check it out here
    http://www.pragprog.com/titles/ruby3/programming-ruby-1-9

    Pablo Torres N., Aug 14, 2010
  6. Chan Nguyen

    Chan Nguyen Guest

    Wow, a lot of advices ;) ! Great thanks to everybody. I will check those
    links out ^_^ !

    Chan Nguyen, Aug 15, 2010
  7. Samuel Sternhagen, Aug 15, 2010
  8. On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM, parser <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 07:09:29PM +0900, Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
    >> Chan Nguyen wrote:
    >> > Wow, a lot of advices ;) ! Great thanks to everybody. I will check those
    >> > links out ^_^ !

    >> Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby:
    >>
    >> http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/

    > What would he learn from that?

    That foxes LOVE chunky bacon!

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
    Twitter: @RickDeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Aug 15, 2010
  9. Also, Dave Thomas, the author of the pickaxe book, has a screencast on ruby m=
    etaprogramming. While metaprogramming itself is an advanced topic, I watched=
    this early on, and felt like it gave me a good jump on understanding the ru=
    by object model.

    Andrew Wagner, Aug 15, 2010
  10. Chan Nguyen

    Damjan Rems Guest

    Chan Nguyen wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I'm a newbie to Ruby. I've just started learning Ruby for a week, but I
    > love it ^_^ so much. I wonder is there any website to look up standard
    > library like C++?
    > And does Ruby have some standard container like C++ ( vector, list, map,
    > stack, deque... ). I come from a C++ background, so the way I think in
    > programming is pretty much from C++. I can see there's a big differences
    > in the way Ruby does work comparing with C++. So what is a good way to
    > start thinking in Ruby way? Can anyone share me some experiences? Great
    > thanks in advance ;) !

    Best ruby libraries documentation link + much more is Sidebar for
    firefox. http://ruby-doc.org/docbar/

    You may also want to read this site
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/,
    which explains how is Ruby different from your language.

    by
    TheR

    Damjan Rems, Aug 16, 2010