question about login at server level in sql server express

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jean, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Jean

    Jean Guest

    Hi,

    I have a question about logins and sql server express and an ASP.NET
    aplication. I put this question in sql server newsgroup, but without real
    answer sofar.

    I created a login 'Network service' at server level in Management Studio
    express.
    I use windows authentification.
    Then i defined an user for my database which is associated to login 'Network
    service', because the application asp.net uses that account (IIS 6.0). This
    user received db_read and db_write roles.

    This works.

    Now i experimented a little bit and i removed from the logins at server
    level the login 'Network service'.
    Result: the application still works.
    ..
    Then i removed the Builtin\users login from the login list at server level.
    Result: i get the error: "login failed for Network service".

    I recreated then the login 'Network Service' at server level but not the
    Builtin\users login.
    Result: it works again.

    My conclusion is: one of the two logins must be in the list: Network Service
    or Builtin\users

    Is this right?
    Why do i get that error when both logins are removed and not only when
    Network Service is removed?

    Thanks
    Jean

    Jean, Aug 28, 2007