Question about Perl and Expect

Markus Kemp

Hi all,

I'm doing some programming with the tool Expect. So far I've been
doing this in Tcl, but I'd like to migrate to Perl. I've gone to the
Expect homepage http://expect.nist.gov/ to find out whether Expect is
available for Perl as well, but I couldn't find any such information.
On the contrary, on the site it is said that "Note: Expect requires
Tcl. If you don't already have Tcl, you can download it as source from
[...]". Suprisingly when I went googling using the search term
"Expect for Perl" I found a page that seems to have just what I'm
looking for. The thing is, I'm a little puzzled by the fact that I
found page offering Expect for Perl when the Expect homepage seems to
think that there is no such thing. Is the Perl version somehow
restricted or otherwise flawed that it would not be mentioned on the
Expect homepage? I need Expect for a project at work, so I need to be
sure that I have a stable and 100% functioning Expect. Can someone in
the know please shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Markus

Joe Smith

Markus said:
I'm doing some programming with the tool Expect. So far I've been
doing this in Tcl, but I'd like to migrate to Perl. I've gone to the
Expect homepage http://expect.nist.gov/ to find out whether Expect is
available for Perl as well, but I couldn't find any such information.

That is not the appropriate page to find out if Expect is available
for Perl. Go to http://search.cpan.org and you will find Expect.pm.
looking for. The thing is, I'm a little puzzled by the fact that I
found page offering Expect for Perl when the Expect homepage seems to
think that there is no such thing.

Not surprising. There are a lot of perl modules that act as wrappers
for other software, doing things that the author never considered.
Said author may or may not mention the perl enhancement; it is not required.
-Joe