Question about pull down menus on asp forms.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Brave, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Brave

    Brave Guest

    I have two questions about pulldown menus on forms.

    1: Can I have the options of one pulldown menu be dictated by the
    choice from another pulldown menu (example beow)?

    2: Can I have a form be submitted when a choice is made in a pulldown
    menu (example below)?

    Example of question 1:

    I have a form with two pulldown menus. The first one has two options.

    1: LETTERS
    2: NUMBERS

    If I choose LETTERS, then the second menu offers the options A, B, and
    C.
    If I choose NUMBERS, the the second menu offers the options 1, 2, and
    3.

    Example of question 2:

    Lets say (using the example above) I choose LETTERS from menu 1.
    I then choose B from the menu 2. Once I choose the last option, I
    would like to have the form automatically submit.

    This functionality is new to me so I am not sure how to go about
    creating the code. Any samples you can offer would be greatly
    appreciated. Here is how I would make the form for the example above
    but past that, I am lost.

    <form method="POST" action="FormProcesspage.asp">

    <option>Letters</option>
    <option>Numbers</option>
    </select></p>

    <option>A or 1</option>(dictated by menu1)
    <option>B or 2</option>(dictated by menu1)
    <option>C or 3</option>(dictated by menu1)
    </select></p>

    </form>

    Thank you for taing the time to read my inquiry, and for any help (and
    hopfully code samples) you can offer.
    Brave, Mar 23, 2007

  2. Brave

    Evertjan. Guest

    Brave wrote on 23 mrt 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I have two questions about pulldown menus on forms.
    >
    > 1: Can I have the options of one pulldown menu be dictated by the
    > choice from another pulldown menu (example beow)?
    >
    > 2: Can I have a form be submitted when a choice is made in a pulldown
    > menu (example below)?
    >
    > Example of question 1:
    >
    > I have a form with two pulldown menus. The first one has two options.
    >
    > 1: LETTERS
    > 2: NUMBERS
    >
    > If I choose LETTERS, then the second menu offers the options A, B, and
    > C.
    > If I choose NUMBERS, the the second menu offers the options 1, 2, and
    > 3.
    >
    > Example of question 2:
    >
    > Lets say (using the example above) I choose LETTERS from menu 1.
    > I then choose B from the menu 2. Once I choose the last option, I
    > would like to have the form automatically submit.
    >
    > This functionality is new to me so I am not sure how to go about
    > creating the code. Any samples you can offer would be greatly
    > appreciated. Here is how I would make the form for the example above
    > but past that, I am lost.
    >
    > <form method="POST" action="FormProcesspage.asp">

    > <option>Letters</option>
    > <option>Numbers</option>
    > </select></p>

    > <option>A or 1</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > <option>B or 2</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > <option>C or 3</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > </select></p>

    > </form>
    >
    > Thank you for taing the time to read my inquiry, and for any help (and
    > hopfully code samples) you can offer.

    And what is your ASP question?

    Remember: ASP is a platform for serverside code, either vbs or jscript,
    ans your question concerns only clientside code.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Mar 23, 2007

  3. Brave

    Marc Guest

    "Brave" <> wrote in message
    >I have two questions about pulldown menus on forms.
    >
    > 1: Can I have the options of one pulldown menu be dictated by the
    > choice from another pulldown menu (example beow)?
    >
    > 2: Can I have a form be submitted when a choice is made in a pulldown
    > menu (example below)?
    >
    > Example of question 1:
    >
    > I have a form with two pulldown menus. The first one has two options.
    >
    > 1: LETTERS
    > 2: NUMBERS
    >
    > If I choose LETTERS, then the second menu offers the options A, B, and
    > C.
    > If I choose NUMBERS, the the second menu offers the options 1, 2, and
    > 3.
    >
    > Example of question 2:
    >
    > Lets say (using the example above) I choose LETTERS from menu 1.
    > I then choose B from the menu 2. Once I choose the last option, I
    > would like to have the form automatically submit.
    >
    > This functionality is new to me so I am not sure how to go about
    > creating the code. Any samples you can offer would be greatly
    > appreciated. Here is how I would make the form for the example above
    > but past that, I am lost.
    >
    > <form method="POST" action="FormProcesspage.asp">

    > <option>Letters</option>
    > <option>Numbers</option>
    > </select></p>

    > <option>A or 1</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > <option>B or 2</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > <option>C or 3</option>(dictated by menu1)
    > </select></p>

    > </form>
    >
    > Thank you for taing the time to read my inquiry, and for any help (and
    > hopfully code samples) you can offer.

    Although I live in the same country as Evertjan you and everyone else should
    notice that we are not all the same...
    so here's what you are actualy looking for:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/how-do-i-make-one-dropdown-depend-on-another.html
    Marc, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Marc wrote:
    > Although I live in the same country as Evertjan you and everyone else
    > should notice that we are not all the same...
    > so here's what you are actualy looking for:
    > http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/how-do-i-make-one-dropdown-depend-on-another.html

    Thank you for providing the answer; however, by not also redirecting him to
    a client-side scripting newsgroup, you did a little disservice to the
    poster. Note that your reply to his offtopic post came 5 hours after he
    posted it. If he had posted it to a client-side scripting group (such as
    microsoft.public.scripting.jscript), I submit he would have had an answer in
    minutes instead of hours. My goal when I tell a user he's posted in the
    wrong place is to help the user get assistance more efficiently, not to play
    net cop. I like to think that that is Evertjian's goal as well.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 24, 2007
  5. "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Marc wrote:
    > > Although I live in the same country as Evertjan you and everyone else
    > > should notice that we are not all the same...
    > > so here's what you are actualy looking for:

    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/how-do-i-make-one-dropdown-depend-on-another.html

    > Thank you for providing the answer; however, by not also redirecting him

    > a client-side scripting newsgroup, you did a little disservice to the
    > poster. Note that your reply to his offtopic post came 5 hours after he
    > posted it. If he had posted it to a client-side scripting group (such as
    > microsoft.public.scripting.jscript), I submit he would have had an answer

    in
    > minutes instead of hours. My goal when I tell a user he's posted in the
    > wrong place is to help the user get assistance more efficiently, not to

    play
    > net cop. I like to think that that is Evertjian's goal as well.

    Bob, I think your too generous.

    Evertjan first asked this question:-

    'And what is your ASP question?'

    Can that be read as anything other than sarcastic?

    Sarcasm has it's place in the face of the willfully ignorant but not
    directed to an original post.

    What defines off topic anyway?

    Are you entirely sure that can't ASP at least be part of the solution?

    I've got loads of such circumstances where supplementary posts to the server
    are necessary to build the content of other controls.

    If such a question is off topic why does aspfaq contain an answer?
    Anthony Jones, Mar 25, 2007
  6. Anthony Jones wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Marc wrote:
    >>> Although I live in the same country as Evertjan you and everyone
    >>> else
    >>> should notice that we are not all the same...
    >>> so here's what you are actualy looking for:
    >>>

    > http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/how-do-i-make-one-dropdown-depend-on-another.html
    >>
    >> Thank you for providing the answer; however, by not also redirecting
    >> him

    >> a client-side scripting newsgroup, you did a little disservice to the
    >> poster. Note that your reply to his offtopic post came 5 hours after
    >> he
    >> posted it. If he had posted it to a client-side scripting group
    >> (such as microsoft.public.scripting.jscript), I submit he would have
    >> had an answer

    > in
    >> minutes instead of hours. My goal when I tell a user he's posted in
    >> the
    >> wrong place is to help the user get assistance more efficiently, not

    > play
    >> net cop. I like to think that that is Evertjian's goal as well.

    > Bob, I think your too generous.

    Maybe.

    > What defines off topic anyway?
    >
    > Are you entirely sure that can't ASP at least be part of the solution?

    Of course it can be, but dynamic lists ALWAYS involve client-side scripting.

    > I've got loads of such circumstances where supplementary posts to the
    > server
    > are necessary to build the content of other controls.

    I really was responding to this particular case, which clearly did not
    involve a supplementary post to the server. Forced to make a distinction, I
    would say that asking how to code the page that provides the response to
    that supplemental post is ontopic. Asking how to write the client-side
    script to cause that supplemental post to be made is better handled by the
    javascript experts over in the scripting groups. If you're an expert in both
    technologies, feel free to provide an answer to the question. I know I have
    provided answers in similar situations. I'm just saying the answer could be
    more quickly obtained in the scripting newsgroup.

    > If such a question is off topic why does aspfaq contain an answer?

    I can't speak for Aaron, but I would assume it's a concession to its being
    asked so frequently. You will note that he really does not provide an answer
    in that article except for providing links to javascript solutions.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 25, 2007
  7. Brave

    Brave Guest

    On Mar 25, 2:56 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > >http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/how-do-i-make-one-dropdown-depend-...

    > >> Thank you for providing the answer; however, by not also redirecting
    > >> him

    > >> a client-side scripting newsgroup, you did a little disservice to the
    > >> poster. Note that your reply to his offtopic post came 5 hours after
    > >> he
    > >> posted it. If he had posted it to a client-side scripting group
    > >> (such as microsoft.public.scripting.jscript), I submit he would have
    > >> had an answer

    > > in
    > >> minutes instead of hours. My goal when I tell a user he's posted in
    > >> the
    > >> wrong place is to help the user get assistance more efficiently, not

    > > play
    > >> net cop. I like to think that that is Evertjian's goal as well.

    > > Bob, I think your too generous.

    > Maybe.
    >
    > > What defines off topic anyway?

    > > Are you entirely sure that can't ASP at least be part of the solution?

    > Of course it can be, but dynamic lists ALWAYS involve client-side scripting.
    >

    > > I've got loads of such circumstances where supplementary posts to the
    > > server
    > > are necessary to build the content of other controls.

    > I really was responding to this particular case, which clearly did not
    > involve a supplementary post to the server. Forced to make a distinction, I
    > would say that asking how to code the page that provides the response to
    > that supplemental post is ontopic. Asking how to write the client-side
    > script to cause that supplemental post to be made is better handled by the
    > javascript experts over in the scripting groups. If you're an expert in both
    > technologies, feel free to provide an answer to the question. I know I have
    > provided answers in similar situations. I'm just saying the answer could be
    > more quickly obtained in the scripting newsgroup.
    >
    > > If such a question is off topic why does aspfaq contain an answer?

    > I can't speak for Aaron, but I would assume it's a concession to its being
    > asked so frequently. You will note that he really does not provide an answer
    > in that article except for providing links to javascript solutions.
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you to everyone for taking the time, and thanks for giving me a
    different group to ask these questions. I have always been happy withe
    response I get from my posts, and I still am. EVERYONE have a great
    day!
    Brave, Mar 27, 2007