Question about real-time timing simulation

systolic

I am doing real-time image processing with VHDL. But I am not quite sure
how I simulate the system with an input image.
Basically, an image processing system takes input data from an image
source, then does some work, finally output the result.

Once I have the vhdl project compiled, for the waveform timing
simulation, how could I input data of a 512x512 image as a real-time
environment. I don't think I should save the whole image data matrix in
some embedded memory blocks.
Someone told me that I can try test bench. But I have no idea about
that. Can someone give a quick guide or suggestions?
Thx a lot.

The tool I am using is Altera Quartus, alos I have ModelSim.