Question about sending email in asp.net web application

gnewsgroup

I am using Peter Bromberg's code to send email through gmail smtp
service in my asp.net web application. Thanks, Peter.

The problem with gmail smtp is that gmail will overwrite the sender's
address with whichever the gmail smtp server authenticates. In other
words, even if you say

mailMessage.From = new MailAddress("(e-mail address removed)");

But, if you authenticate yourself through "(e-mail address removed)",

Then the sender address will be overwritten as "(e-mail address removed)".

I understand that this makes perfect anti-spamming sense.

Here is my situation. I have domain mydomain.com, and I am using the
google apps email service with this mydomain.com. So, I have email
addresses like

(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

But, I cannot authenticate neither of these against gmail smtp server,
so I have to use (e-mail address removed) to get authenticated, but then,
recipients will see that my email is from (e-mail address removed) instead
of from (e-mail address removed). This is very unprofessional, isn't it?

So, here is the question, I don't have a mail server on mydomain.com,
is there a work around to send mail and recipient would see that the
email is from (e-mail address removed)?

Thank you.

gnewsgroup

Would setting up your Email domain through GoogleApps help ?

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

Well, I am already using the gmail apps with my own email domain like
(e-mail address removed). In other words, I log onto google's apps site and
check my email. Although it is really gmail, but I have my own
domain.

But, I cannot authenticate my custom domain email against gmail smtp.
It seems that one can get authenticated by gmail smtp only if he uses
the explicit gmail (i.e. (e-mail address removed)) credentials.

gnewsgroup

I haven't tried using the ReplyTo property to see if that would help, but in
a pinch you could always invite your "selves" to get their own unique gmail
addresses and use the correct one for each.
-- Peter
Site:http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short Urls & more:http://ittyurl.net

Well, I did try the ReplyTo property. It helps in that when the user
hits the Reply button, the ReplyTo email address will automatically
jump to the To: field.

But, still, the recipient can see that this email is from
(e-mail address removed) instead of (e-mail address removed).

gnewsgroup

I haven't tried using the ReplyTo property to see if that would help, but in
a pinch you could always invite your "selves" to get their own unique gmail
addresses and use the correct one for each.
-- Peter
Site:http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short Urls & more:http://ittyurl.net

OK, the thing is, I would like to let the user see that s/he received
the email from (e-mail address removed) instead of (e-mail address removed).

How does the SMTP service that comes with IIS work? I tried it a long
time ago, but it was not successful, and had to give it up.

gnewsgroup

Well, I did try the ReplyTo property. It helps in that when the user
hits the Reply button, the ReplyTo email address will automatically
jump to the To: field.

But, still, the recipient can see that this email is from
(e-mail address removed) instead of (e-mail address removed).

Looks like SendMail for Windows can do that. 49 bucks a copy.

DownlodComponent

Hello
i am using google applications and host my domain email with Gmail .
I have a user name called support and i am able to authenticate and
send email .
Can you post your code including user name also ? Do not forget to
remove the password

http://www.codeexplore.com/
Make money writing articles

gnewsgroup

Hello
i am using google applications and host my domain email with Gmail .
I have a user name called support and i am able to authenticate and
send email .
Can you post your code including user name also ? Do not forget to
remove the password

http://www.codeexplore.com/
Make money writing articles

Hey, that sounds exciting to me. Please take a look at the code I use
at the following link. I think it's nicer to for eye to put it on a
webpage instead of here at this newsgroup.

http://gnewsgroup.googlepages.com/sendemailviagmailsmtp

That's the code that works. I haven't been able to succeed with my
custom domain email through smtp.gmail.com. Please do share how you
had it work. Thanks a lot!

gnewsgroup

Hello
i am using google applications and host my domain email with Gmail .
I have a user name called support and i am able to authenticate and
send email .
Can you post your code including user name also ? Do not forget to
remove the password

http://www.codeexplore.com/
Make money writing articles

One thing I need to add is that I am only use the free google apps, I
am not paying anything. Don't know if this makes a difference.