Question about separating logic from html?

mca

Hi everyone,

I'm new to asp.net and i have a question about separating the html
code from the programming code.

i have an unknown numbers of entries in my table. I want to make a
hyperlink for every entry in my table. So i query the database and
get for example 3 entries back. So in a while loop i can make 3
hyperlinks with response.write(.......) etc.

For what i know of asp.net, it should be possible to query my database
in the upper side of the aspx-file (logic) and put the hyperlinks at
the bottom of the page (html). Could this be separated or do i have
to mix asp.net-code and html code (spaghetti)?

Anyone?

Regards,
Michel

Guest

Hi

Have you looked at the asp.net server control DataGrid

If you have a DataSource with you, you can bind that DataSource to the DataGrid in the code behind
In the design side tell what are the columns required to display
thats al

at run time the DataBinding happens and you get what you desired

If you still need any info, please send me a email regarding the scenario you
are working
I will try to send u a code on tha

Kashyp
Aztec Software and Technology Services Ltd
Bangalore

Kevin Spencer

For what i know of asp.net, it should be possible to query my database
in the upper side of the aspx-file (logic) and put the hyperlinks at
the bottom of the page (html). Could this be separated or do i have
to mix asp.net-code and html code (spaghetti)?

Hi Michel,

When you speak of "the upper side of the aspx-file" and "the bottom of the
page (html)" you are thinking in classic ASP terms, which means
procedurally. In classic ASP, code is executed from top to bottom of the
page/script, which contains both server-side scripting, and HTML code.

ASP.Net is Object-Oriented, which means (among other things) that there is
no procedural order in which code is executed. Instead, objects are created,
and the execution thread is much more complex, passing among objects in a
non-linear fashion. It is more useful to think in terms of objects than
procedure with ASP.Net.

You can use a separate CodeBehind file, or put your CodeBehind code into the
ASPX Page Template in code blocks if you like. However, it is best to think
of the CodeBehind not as "the upper side of the aspx file," but rather as a
separate Class definition which can be optionally included in the same file
as the ASPX Page Template.

ASP.Net uses objects (Server Controls) to render HTML in the page. Any "raw"
HTML in the ASPX Page Template is converted at run-time to LiteralControls.
Other Server Controls are used for client-server interaction. These other
Controls have a server-side and a client-side aspect to them, and the
client-side aspect "talks to" the server-side aspect by means of form
PostBacks, since they don't "live" at the same time (the server-side objects
render the client-side HTML, and then go away until the next request. The
client-side HTML exists until a new Request is sent to the server).

Server Controls often do have a representation in the ASPX Page Template.
This representation in the Template file itself look similar to HTML or XML,
but at run-time they are rendered to the client as pure HTML. The HTML that
is rendered in the HTML document, however, looks nothing like the
server-side representation of the Control in the Template. Instead, it is
created by the server-side object (which is in the CodeBehind class of the
page) that is the "real" Server Control. The token in the Page Template is a
sort of placeholder, which can contain some code that builds the HTML
rendered at run-time, by combining information in the Server Control tag in
the Page Template with logic from the Server Control behind it.

In essence, this is how the Presentation tier of an ASP.Net app is divided
into presentation logic (Server Controls in the CodeBehind) and presentation
layout (the pseudo-HTML of Server Controls and "raw" HTML in the Page
Template).

I hope this clears things up for you somewhat.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

ccallen

asp.net-code and html code (spaghetti)
This is what we had with asp. Asp.net is designed to get rid of all that
spaghetti. The datagrid that Kashypa refered turns record sets into HTML
tables. All you have to do is a little ado.net setup and bind the data to
the datagrid. Look through the asp.net samples that ship with the .net sdk
for examples of binding to the datagrid and other controls.

Code behind allows you to move all your programming code into a seperate
file. Server controls allow you to wrap functionality into a resuable
component, like a shopping cart. There are lots of maginzines (eg. MSDN
Magizine) that are packed with tons of asp.net examples. Jeff Prossie's
"Programming .Net" book is a good introduction to .dotnet and asp.net.

ccallen